CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Motor being put back together

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my motor parts today and have started re-assembly. It is easy if you have the right tools. The cylinder has a stainless steel O-ring and the surface was cleaned up for a good seal. Those 8mm bolts break easily if over torqued. I had a new thread insert done as well. 0.043" copper head gaskets have been here waiting for the rest of the motor. The head has a receiver groove for the O-ring and the surface was cleaned up for a good seal - they told me there was a small amount of warpage near the studs holes, which could explain the problems I was having keeping the head sealed. I had porting done around the valve seats. Replaced two exhaust valves, added HD springs. Minor cleanup of the intake and exhaust ports. I wanted to do a lot more than this, but the shop was not very cooperative. 8:1 lightweight turbo dish piston went in easily. This weekend I should have the motor back in the frame - easy to install/remove with head off. The stock swingarm is off, timmyboy swingarm will be on this weekend as well. Had some welding done to some pipes for the turbo to fix air leaks. Still waiting on my new throttle body - old one had air leaks. It will be a 46mm single bore, dual bore was costly, would have taken longer, may not have fit good, and would have made the plenum piping more complicated. Still deciding if to run a multi-spark high energy CDI box that I bought. If the turbo will hold up, I should be able to run over 20psi of boost on alcohol. Torque ought to be ~90ft-lbs. I may run an electronic controlled automatic shifter. Clutch pull is too hard with HD springs and drag racing doesn't help your wrist either with repeated clutch pulls. Will be comparing extreme haulers to taller haulers.