CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

BAD, BAD, BAD, NEWS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it it goes like this:
I finished installing my Nitrous system and I took it out for a test ride today. The bike was running excellent, and then I purged all of the air out of the fuel line. I was running a 15 horsepower shot. I opened up the bottle and the gauge read 800 psi. When I went to third gear, hit full throttle, and the engine popped and grinded to a stop. It now does not turn over while I am trying to start it. When I pulled the plugs, they were black and wet from rich condition, but I had flakes of what looked like alumnuim on the plugs. Do you have any idea what caused this or what I did wrong? I took extra care in installing the system. I did a little at a time, double-checking and triple-checking everything so I know it is hooked up right. Do you have any idea what could have happened and what might have happened to my engine. I have a feeling it was some kind of seizure. Thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer. It looks like it's time for a 760 kit with a big head.:

Old 03-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Best guess is that the piston seized and the deposits on your spark plug are from the piston.

Your gonna have to pull the head off to check for damage.

Don't know about the N02 setup that will probably have to be looked at.

If you don't get enough fuel with the N02 hit you go into an extreme lean condition that will cause what piston meltdown.

When you rebuild the motor and still want to use N02 go with a Forged Piston. Make sure that both FUEL and N02 injectors are working correctly. Also, is your fuel pump capably of suppling enough fuel and or pressure. On your setup who's is it and call them.

Good luck

Smitty

Old 03-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I think if any thing, it was two rich, can you hurt a motor by too much fuel?

Old 03-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

OMG OrganDonor,What happened?
Did you check you gas jet for clogging,it had to of been a lean condition!The wet residue maybe from the aftermath,probably the piston is history.Do the electrodes on the plugs look worn or burnt.Really sorry to here about your misfortune.
Check fuel pressure,and what jets are you running for the gas & N20.
I will normally pull the gas line off the fogger and purge(w/N2o off)to check for good flow before use.
Other posible problems are:
Stock gas tank vent line is too small,need to go with a 1/4 line off the gas cap.
The fuel petcock is pretty small,helps to drill it out a couple of more sizes.
Let us know what you find out?
Jeff

Old 03-10-2002, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

I was running 20n/18f NX chart says 15hp shot I have a billet gas cap with a vent line
My fuel lines are 5/16 to the carb and to the fuel pump then 1/4 out of the other side of the fuel pump. The line out the fuel pump is about a foot long, but I purged it and I got the over rich stumble so I assume it was ok. I did like the directions said!! The bottle pressure was on the low side though.

Old 03-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

OD - Did the bike "grind" to a halt the very first time you hit WOT? had you had previous succesful runs? The over rich condition can cause
a backfire as well as a lean condition. Have you disconnected the fuel line from the foggernozzle ? check to see if you have fuel dripping out of the fuel line from the fuel soleniod when the bike is turned off. This would indicate that a piece of contamination has jammed the soleniod and it is open sufficiently far to continue drawing fuel and flooding the engine as you are trying to start it.
Metal flakes sound like a lean condition but it could be your plugs disintegrating due to a very lean condition , detonation or pre-ignition. None of these are good for the motor of course- will the
motor still turn over as you try to start it? is it seized?
let us know what you find

Old 03-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch O.D. I wa counting on yours to be successful. I have been easy with mine and I havent did a WOT run yet. I an gonna put the piston in first. I am running 26f\22N and I want to make sure the first is the best. Are you gonna stick with the system or sell it? Did you pull the fuel line and squirt it? When you turned on the bottle on did you force the Air out of the line before the solenoid? Dont give up. When get it back up let me know. I would also like to see pictures of the plugs and piston.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

organdonor- sorry to hear that. I want to run nos but i am afraid of what happened to you. To much expense to go boom. I want to run a controller on mine when i do it. Organ, how many runs did you make with the sauce on?

Anybody running nos with a controller?

Old 03-11-2002, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

sorry to hear this organ donor but you proabably did not do this with nos only. it was proabably coming on for awhile. i say this because i hit my nos thirty times a day at glamis and my last trip out i was running lean the whole day at china wall and i ran the whole day i just hit my nitrous early to get the distance on my competiter so he could not catch up because i was cutting out at full rpms toward the top of the hill it worked.i run a 25hp shot. im just saying it proabably was not the nos only.

ps at 800 psi you weren't hitting that hard any ways @950-1000 is where you get your best hit!!!!

Old 03-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

I think I'm going to recharge the battery for good measure and then try to turn the motor over by hand. If it goes, I'll do a leak down test if all is good, dump the oil and look for flakes. I talked to "Hemi" and he thinks to motor will go, he also thinks the battery was low and the richness shut down the motor. I hope he's right. The plugs are BLACK,BLACK
I guess i'll go get it out of the trailer now
I'll let everyone know the out come. If I look on the bright side maybe a 760 will be a must!

Quick Reply: BAD, BAD, BAD, NEWS