CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor Envy, cheap performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fourlix,
Correct me if i'm wrong, knutz's statement on the 45mm carb being too big for near stock engines is based on theory only, it hasn't been tested on the dyno. I say this because many people claim big differences with the 45mm carb with upgrades equel to or less then the rwr stage 1 as long as the accel pump is installed. Also, if I remember correctly the carb mount filter made little to no difference then the KN in the box with the lid removed as long as the air tube didn't suck shut. Just trying to keep the record strait so people don't get confused...or maybe causing confusion??

Old 03-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

The Team Pami kits are much more extensive and produce more HP, thus resulting in a more expensive kit. It's a matter of how fast you want to go. Go to the Team Pami (Knutz) website and check out their HP increases versus RWR.

RWR gains are as follows:

They tested on K&N Engineering's Dynojet dynamometer, a motorcycle/atv setup, using stock tires.
Peak horsepower for stock was 41 @ 6500, torque 38.1 @ 5500

Peak for Stage I is 49 @ 7000, torque 39.3 @ 6000
Note that the Stage I makes about 37 lbs/ft torque @ 3500 vs the stock 20, and continues to make good power up to 8000.

Peak for Stage II is about 55 @ 7500, torque 40 @ 6500

Stage III 57 @ 7500-8500, torque 41 @ 6750

Compared to Team Pami's Stage 2 & 3 HP ratings, this doesn't sound like much. That's where you have to decide if you want to pony up less dough for less HP, or spend more money and get a freaky amount of HP in return.

Old 03-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

The 42MM vs. 45MM facts that I've stated were not theory, they are dyno tested. The 45MM produced 2 more peak HP but lost up to 5 HP between 3000 and 5500 RPM.

NewDSLover, You can pump up a Raptor or a 400EX for 1/4 the price of a DS? 60 HP for $600 bucks? that's impressive, if you believe it. 70HP for $1300?Cool, I can't compete with that.

Fourlix, I've stopped putting alot of time and money into dyno testing. Now I just do it for my own knowledge. I can't compete with other builders dyno's that are run by advertizing departments. I state true #'s, and that cost me more sales than it gains. All I want is to get an accurate dyno sheet for one of my huge flow motors[100HP+] and leave it at that. Hopefully, I'll have that soon. Untill then, people will believe what sounds best to them.

Old 03-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

The 42mm Mikuni is also a bunch cheaper than the 45mm. And easier to install, requiring no porting of the intake manifold to match it up, I think.
....Carb Parts Warehouse has the 42mm Flatslide Mikuni with accelerator pump for $349, with a bunch of jets. Easy install, takes stock cable.

Anybody have any real world experience with this carb on the DS?

This could be the right step for me, for now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure about the fact that it takes the stock cable? Niether the HSR or the TM do, but maybe they change the mount. $350 is my price for it as well, but instead of "a bunch of jets" I change the needle, pilot, main, accelorator pump jet to start you off pretty close, right out of the box.

Let me know it they do send it to you with the right mount for the stock cable. If so, I'll see if I can start getting that mount.

Old 03-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

HEY soonerdunner those no's i wish. my suggestion to whoever came up with those no's no beer while the bike's on the dyno. max hp at stage three is close but stock is a joke and i have seen many ds's on the dyno. OK maybe im stretching it too! 4-5 ds on the dyno and thats two different dyno's

Old 03-23-2002, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

Those numbers came from Elliot @ RWR. I know that Bombardier states that the DS650 Stock puts out approx. 44hp, which I know sounds inflated. So I assumed that 41 would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood. I've heard so many different numbers. I do wonder, however, what RWR would hope to gain by exaggerating the stock HP numbers. That would be like saying, "Hey, buy our kit because it doesn't make much more HP than stock". Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers did you see from the dyno? And do you have a blood/alcohol test from the date that the testing was done????

Old 03-23-2002, 03:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think we're onto something, we need to build a Blood Alcohol & Drug test kit into every dyno! Also a lie detector, that way, we can be assured that the dyno test is good! It wouldn't stop a good marketing department from rounding a .1 all the way up to the next full digit when needed, or a .9 all the way down if it looked good.

Old 03-24-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe all we need to straighten these out are some dyno runs to be posted. Anyone have some?

Old 03-24-2002, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

Knutz,
Will the 42mm Mikuni use the same carb mount K&N (SN-2550) that the stocker uses? I just bought it and I don't want to see $35 go down the drain, plus the $10 for the outerwear. You said that the PAMI CDI with a good exhaust, carb mount K&N and a jet kit will make 48 RWH, how much more will the 42mm Mikuni give me? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Raptor Envy, cheap performance upgrades