CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My New Trailer Story - Long one

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a recent trip to Sand Mt. my Wife decided it was time for us to get a Toy Hauler Trailer (RV)and of course, who am I to say no.

After some looking and talking with friends we decided on the Weekend Warrior 2200FT. So, after some hunting for the best price, we made a deal and headed from Sacramento, CA (Northern CA) to Southern CA last Friday to pick up the trailer. Saturday morning we show up at the dealer and they are completely prepared. They got us in and out of there very quickly and went over all the features in great detail.

So, we start making our way home and as soon as we hit the Grapevine (a 4000' pass between Magic Mt. and Bakersfield) we notice the Durango (5.9L / 360 with a 3:73 rear end rated to tow 7300 lbs.) is having a tough time. Now I had had some problems with pinging and clogged up Cat. Converters (2)in the past so our trust level on the engine was not too high. Recently, the dealer even retarded the timing to eliminate the pinging. Well, we finally make it over the pass and mind you by this time we are down to selecting the color of the new tow rig. The $20,000 trailer has now become the $60,000 trailer / Tow vehicle. Fun ain't cheap.

Well we roll up the windows, turn on the AC and turn down the radio. Uh-oh what's that sound?

Engine sounded like it was clapping. We pulled over and called for back-up (Saturday night). My Brother-in-law came down (Sunday Morning) and hooked up his rig to our trailer and followed us. We get about 30-45 minutes up the road and the engine dies. Call AAA for a tow, drop it at a dealer and we are back on the road in his rig.

Long and the short of it: the bearing on the #4 cyl tie-rod to crank-shaft had gone long ago which explains the pinging and the engine trying to richen the fuel to make up for the pinging which led to clogging the Cat. Converter. The block got cracked and the engine is dust. $4,100 later I get a new engine. I am [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] because I had an extended warranty. Durango has 55k miles and a new engine. Now I just have to drive 3-1/2 hours to pick up the Durango this Friday. Good news is they will be done with it so quickly (I think that is pretty good, a new engine in a week.)

We were planning on going to Sand Mt. this week but no tow vehicle. We did stay in the trailer last Saturday night and it is real nice. They did a real good job on it. I am sure it will look a lot better with my DS in it.

Old 04-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

3TV, let me get this straight. Your diesel only gets 7-9 mpg?

Old 04-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

If there is one thing I have learned it would be if you know there is something wrong you are right.

I heard knocking had cat. converters clog, paid for new plugs and wires, etc. I literally yelled at my dealer saying something is not right. They told me to use high octane gas to prevent the knocking, I told them I already was (wouldn't normally, but if it is knocking that is the first thing to try.) They said I would have to live with it and it would not hurt the engine. I wish I would have got that in writing. If it doesn't seem right to you don't give up.

Engine noises are not right. Car squeeks bug me but, they happen over time. Engine noises should not change.

Old 04-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

How much does your Weekend Warrior weigh?
I do remember hearing that the Cummins will get better mileage when it gets more broken in. Another guy told me that The Cummins is consitered "broken in" at 100,000 miles! You have a LONG way to go! Cummins is still the best diesel out there IMHO, even though I'm a Ford guy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Those weekend warriors are sweet. I have been looking at them. I think I want the FB2600.

If you wouldnt mind sharing what kind of price you guys paid.

How many quads can you get in the 22'?

Glad it all worked out for you.

Bat

Old 04-04-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

fasterthebetter,
go here Dodge Ram Chat

I have a 360 with a ping problem. I put in a 180 T-stat & autolite sparkplugs one step colder than stock. The ping is 80% gone, 99% gone with with 89 octane while pulling my utility trailer, except on real hot days. Dodge has these engines too leaned out to get decent emissions. That's the trouble. The dealer flash is a bad thing too!!! That retarding the timing isn't good. 318/360 were nover meant to be "clean" motors.
Go to that Dodge rorum & search for "ping" there is alot of help for it.

Old 04-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

damn my spelling sucks today....

Old 04-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i got the 2001 dodge 3500 with the turbo diesl in it and i only average 8.6mpg towing a 32ft dunes fithwheel toy hauler with no quads yet. just waiting for the boat to sell so i can get the bomb baja...... oh yeah, and what evers left after that for the wife. ive got another 75,000 miles to go before it is broken in. i have been researching quads now for 2 months and all u guys really help out in deciding what to buy and what mods look kewl and work. thanks...... i can wait to be out there with ya all.

Old 04-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

ford powerstroke with banks stinger kit, weekend warrior fb2200. driving at 75mph fully loaded. ie (ds , golfcart, 120 gal water, 30 gal fuel tank, etc , etc ) 9 mpg. at least i'm not alone.

Old 04-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Bat:

The 2200FT is a 2600FS without the bedroom up front but with a front tilt-out bed (like a tent trailer). So, it can fit the same number of quads as a 2600FS (Front Sleeper).

I haven't had a chance to load our quads in it yet. I know they will all easily fit but, don't know how many more I could fit.

The 2600FS with generator / gas pump station / stabilizer jacks / etc. goes for about $25k out the door. I ended up driving to Los Angeles to work with Giant RV to get a good deal on mine.

Can't wait to get my Durango back so I can get out and use it.

I am sure I will not be pulling it 75 mph like the diesel guys but, it should get it up and over the pass (Donner) going at least 40.

Wish someone would put a diesel in a smaller SUV (Yukon / Durango / Tahoe / Expedition).

Quick Reply: My New Trailer Story - Long one