CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand Skate I vs. II

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is the difference between the Sand Skate I and the Sand Skate II? I've gotten a couple of recomendations to use the 21" I's, but I can't find ANY information on them. STU doesn't even have them listed on their website. Are they very expensive? Does Fullerton Sand sports have a website? If not, what's their phone number? I was hoping to simply re-use the Douglas rims my sand devils came on. Do the I's require a custom width wheel? Skat-Trak told me that a 22" paddle won't clear my healguards. Will these 21" paddles fit? I'm currently saving up for some 20" 9-paddle eXtreme haulers, but will seriously consider the SS I's if the performance and price is comparable.

Old 04-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Joe @ Fullerton Sand Sports-714-898-2049. The SS1's are a great tire if you get the comp-cut. This makes the paddles taller and the tire lighter. The price is higher since they are cut but worth it.
Joe can give you better info.

Old 04-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help. I picked up a Sand Sports mag today, in hopes of finding more information, and I found them pictured in an ad. They look to have more of a balloon shape than other paddles. I'll call Fullerton and see what they can tell me. Dollar 4 dollar, will they outperform the haulers? I ask, because I'm on a limited budget, and have to consider price as much as everything else.

Old 04-11-2002, 02:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lightweight,

The Sand Skate I's with the competition cut are expensive, and they do require a custom rim. If you talk to Joe at Fullerton Sand Sports, he will more than take all the time you want explaining everything to you. I bought a set of tires with competition cut, 10x10 rims and some tire sealant to keep them from going flat in the event of a puncture. The whole idea of this exact setup is to be the ultimate light tire, and they do that perfectly. (One tire could easily be lifted with just one finger!)

The size of the 21" Sand Skate I is a true 21" unlike most any other tire I have measured/heard of. (Skat-Traks seem to run about 2" shorter than the tire size claims another example Kenda Trakkers are 3" shroter) I trimmed the extra flange off of my heelguards prior to getting my 22" Holeshots. I think it looks better, so I opted to do it wether or not it was needed, so I'm not sure if it is 100% necessary.

The Sand Skate II's should be a cheaper option, and are a 20" tire. I have not measured them in person, so I don't know if they are as true to their size as the Sand Skate I's. A couple of the other DS riders in this forum have the Sand Skate II's and could probably tell you more on those.

As far as 20" Skat Traks, I wouldn't do it. I have 20" Haulers on my Mojave, and that tire works well for that ATV, with it's not so impressive 18HP. I could only imagine how much wheel spin a person would get using that same tire on a DS. (I don't think I measured the 20" Haulers, but I believe they are about 18" tall, maybe 19" at best.) If you like Skat Traks, go for the 22" (they'll probably be 20" when you measure them.) I think if I was going to buy a cheaper tire, I'd see about the Sand Skate II's or 22" Skat Trak Edge with the Extreme paddles.