CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New DS 650 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,my new Ds didn't blow up, I just needed people to see this post pretty fast. It was posted once, and only one person replied, so maybe this will work. I'm getting a new Baja DS, and I need to know some stuff about it, like.....

1) What kind of Oil should I buy, where do I get it, what oil filter, and where do I get it too?

2) what is the procedure for changing the oil, and how often should I change it. How often Do I change the filter?

3) What spark plug does it take?

4) valve adjustment info?, and how often?

5) Chain tightening procedure?

6) Any other adjustments, things to grease, or anything I should know would be great, tips, tricks

7) what are the best pipes. I would like one that isn't that expensive, probably just a slip-on, that you can adjust maybe the end-caps, and maybe buy a Quiet core, and spark arrestor to put in when quiet is needed. I was looking at White E-series, and R4. Yoshimura, CT, Graydon, and Alba.

8) Where do I get a good six-pack rack for a DS? PRM? I need something to carry some stuff, and prevent me from wheelieing backwards. Does the Ds have a storage compartment on it?

Ok, A guy told me (he happened to be a banshee owner) that the Ds is made strictly for sand, and tips over way easy. he said that since the tires are radials that they suck, and he said that it was sooo top heavy, it rolls over in sharp turns. I hope this isn't true, is it?

Old 04-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

No one answer his questions and ignore this post for being a jack a$$ and making a false title.

Old 04-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

i thought it came with an owners manual??????????

Old 04-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Your questions are valid and important ones that have all been addressed at one time or another in this forum...I would suggest reading through the past posts to find the answers you are looking for with regards to "tricks and tips". As far as your questions about specific maintenance I would STRONGLY suggest having the initial servicing done by your dealer after the 10 hr break-in...establish repore with your dealer mechanic and ask him for some guidence to maintaning your new quad. This will help you have many years of fun and also will keep the Bomb's resale/trade-in value its highest should you ever wish to upgrade to a newer model...I also had similar questions after purchasing my machine and am very thankful for this forum and continue to come here for answers. I also bought the $65.00 service manual and am not so sure it was worth the cost as it is somewhat confusing and does not cover everything--such as the carburator. Good luck and happy trails!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

ya TURD!

Old 04-13-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, sorry guys. I was just trying to get some answers. No hard feelings? I've seen other people do that, so I decided to try it. Bad Idea, I guess. Oh yeah, and I don't have the owners manual yet, the Ds is still at the dealer.

Old 04-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Okay Adam, now go back and edit the title of your post. Otherwise we will be hearing about DS's blowing up, cause somebody from Honda or Polaris came over and looked at the threads without going in and finding out what is really going on.
....And remember the one about the boy who cried wolf too.
...And remember the one about the little Dutch boy that stuck his finger in a Dyke,,,, and got the $h!t kicked out of him.
....Time for recess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know how to edit the title of the post.

Old 04-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

sorry 3tv, but you should worry about the valve adjustment. at my 10 hr inspection they were way off. after that adjustment however. they seem to hold.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

My dealer also told me not to worry about the valve adjustment at the 10hour inspection.

Quick Reply: New DS 650 Questions