CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Do you prefer Thumb or Twist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding my street bike a lot since my motor is at knuts and I feel that I can pound through the gears a lot faster with a twist throttle than I can on my DS's thumb throttle
1)How many of you use a twist and do you like it?
2)How is it on the ruff stuff, like rocky trails and whoops?
3)How is on jumps?

Thanks
Organdonor

Old 04-14-2002, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Great question, thx. I installed a Motion Pro twist throttle before I took my Baja on on it's first ride (I know how to ride a motorcycle better then i do a jet ski so i thought it was a easy decision) but I was wrong, I just picked up a new throttle cable and the thumb throttle is going back on. I have gotten myself into trouble a few times by not being able to get off the throttle as easy as I would like I times. I ride mostly "Off Road Parks" in Northern California. I'm looking forward to taking this thing out to the dunes soon and I think if you did mostly dune riding, the twist throttle would be the way to go but any kind of woods or trail riding, unless you ride very tame, I think the twist will get you into trouble. Thats just my oppinion. Lets see what others think, thx, Rich A

Old 04-14-2002, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Great question, thx. I installed a Motion Pro twist throttle before I took my Baja on on it's first ride (I know how to ride a motorcycle better then i do a jet ski so i thought it was a easy decision) but I was wrong, I just picked up a new throttle cable and the thumb throttle is going back on. I have gotten myself into trouble a few times by not being able to get off the throttle as easy as I would like I times. I ride mostly "Off Road Parks" in Northern California. I'm looking forward to taking this thing out to the dunes soon and I think if you did mostly dune riding, the twist throttle would be the way to go but any kind of woods or trail riding, unless you ride very tame, I think the twist will get you into trouble. Thats just my oppinion. Lets see what others think, thx, Rich A

Old 04-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I used to ride a street bike, and I used to have a twist throttle on my ATC350X. For just riding around I like it, but for taking steep ridges and jumps I hate the twist.
My buddy has a twist on his Raptor and loves it, for all the above. He has to take it off in the winter though, and go back to the thumb. Says the sensitivity was difficult to manage with warm gloves on. Then in spring it goes back on - he likes it that much.
Its all in the opinion of the rider I guess.
Also - if you ride mud alot - the twist can screw you there. No grip means no gas!

Old 04-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

I have a twist throttle on my Scrambler, and plan to install one on my Baja when it gets delivered in a day or so. I like the twist because it's a lot easier to maintain a steady throttle while going through the rough stuff. I loose my thumb off the throttle sometime during the rough stuff, which caused me to loose momentum. Has never happened with the twist throttle. But like someone said earlier about a honda with a twist, it is very smooth, even though it controling two cables (throttle and oil injector).

Old 04-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

quads=thumb
dirtbike=twist
my opinion, for me it is easier to use a thumb throttle on a quad and twist on a bike. I haven't rode a quad with a twist on it but for me it seems that it would be easier to control a quad with a thumb throttle. just my 2 cents

Old 04-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Now if I have the 45mm Mikuni with the thumb right now. Do I have to do any mods to the carb, to go to a twist? If so I'm sticking with thumb because of my micro swicth for the nitro.

Old 04-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

Deja vu, I just answered that question in the other forum lol.

Old 04-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

The Copy and Paste thing is great!!lol

Old 04-16-2002, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I like twist for anything but MX. I either give it to much throttle off a jump or not enough, and through the whoops I can't keep it steady, but dunes and trails I like the twisty better for some reason. Maybe it's because it makes cornering easier for me.

EDIT; I forgot, if you drag race, it much easier with the twist throttle. Some of the guys I've dragged don't use the clutch, but with a twist throttle I've learned to use the clutch and stil shift as fast as the other guys who don't. Oh, whats the difference between twist throttles? I was told there's different "turns", like 1/4 and 1/8, can anyone tell me what that means?

Quick Reply: Do you prefer Thumb or Twist?