CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just had the Baja lower A-Arm replaced is it correct?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the lower left A-Arm on my ’02 DS Baja replaced. How do I know if they put the correct one on? Compared to the '01's They look the same but, I took it for a spin today and it seems to be pulling a little now.
I have about 10hrs and less then 5 rides on it so far, and have broken an A-Arm and totaled 3 rims. Does it ever end? I have put the AC Nerfs and full skids on. Also does anyone know where to get rims like the stock Baja rims but with rock guards on the inside as well?

Thanks,
Don

Old 04-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

YaaaaaHOOOOOOoooooo!!!! WWWhhheeeeeeeEEEEEEE--DOOOGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEY!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2002, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its the right arm, but it sounds like they screwed up the tie rod adjustment when they re-installed it. The toe needs checked and adjusted properly now.

Dude, you're a rock magnet!!

Rocky Mt. ATV, Chapparral, OMF to name a few sources for reinforced rims...pick up a Dirt Wheels Mag, a million sources...expect to pay over $100.00 each. In your case though, maybe you otta get cheep $20.00 steel rims, then the next rock won't cost you so much!!(hehehehe)

Old 04-15-2002, 04:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I picked up the reinforced rims from OMF. If you call them, ask for Leon, he is an excellent guy. I paid 99.99 each for the front rims and 94.99 each for the rears, all with inner and out rings.

Old 04-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Be carefull with inner rings on the front wheels of the DS. I ordered a set like that originaly, but sent them back when I saw the clearance issue. With the smaller inner ring, you have about 1/4" of clearance to the brake caliper. That quarter inch would not be terrible, except that it lines up with the brake bleed valve. So, the firts thing to go if the rim getts hit too hard would be that valve, hence the brakes would go. Jeff came close to experiencing this duing the Terrible Town 250, without realizing it. After the race, I showed him how half of his valve was gone due to the rim contacting it. I'm not saying that you definately shouldn't get inner rings, but be aware of the possible brake problem and use what you feel comfortable with. I don't feel the thin rings small increase in ridgidity is worth the risk of brake loss, but that's my opinion.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

MY god bud your an animal it sounds like you need a D8 not a ds but try a little more air presure in your tires.if your riding around anthem i understand your problem!!

Old 04-16-2002, 03:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wouldn't a front wheel with just a slightly different offset fix that problem? It seems like all you have to do is move that just a little with offset or different width and you're home free. Is there a similar bleeder valve from another machine that is smaller and will fit in the same hole? Maybe from a ATV/Car/whatever? It seems some race team somewhere had to come into a problem where a bleed valve was near contacting SOMETHING on a race Car, Truck, ATV or other machine and created a fix for it.

Old 04-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

The solution we use on the race bike is to run +1" a-arms, and 1" more inset. This keeps us at the legal limit of 50" width, eases the input to the stearing stem from rock hits, and moves the ring away from the bleader. These are custom built wheels though. Last race we tried carbon fiber wheels and the custom OMF wheels sat in the trailer, for the KTM 150, we're going back to aluminum.