CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

air filter revisited......

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I know that some of you guys have gone from the carb mount filter back to a filter in the box without the lid, what do you think of that setup.

I currently have the filter on the carb, but have been considering putting a filter in the airbox and see how it runs.

Just thought I would check with you guys first and see what your impressions were. My thoughts are that while it may not flow as much air, it may have more velocity. Maybe I am off track. I just think it might be worth trying out.

Thanks for any opinions.

Bat

Old 04-16-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Bat, I haven't got to try out my carb mount k&n yet. It seems to breathe alot easier than the stock airbox w/out lid setup. I will have to test it further though.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I am thinking about doing a little testing. I need to get out and ride, but it seems every weekend there is something else to do.

I am just curious, if I leave the lid off, and leave the holes where the tubes used to be open, if I would get as much air and maybe more velocity. It would help to straighten out the air flow, I dont know. I am not an engineer or anything, but it might work out well.

I guess I am really just bored and trying to think if that would be better then the carb mount.

Bat

Old 04-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

3TV - if your bike ran better in the low end when you went back to stock filter in the airbox, its more than likely because it was lean with the carb mount, and you richened it going to the stock filter in airbox. The same performance gain could be gotten by richening the mixture with your previous air setup.

I run a K&N in the airbox, no lid, snorkel holes plugged. If you go K&N with no lid, you need to run the 3rd groove on Dynojet needles like the instructions say for stage 3, and if you're running the stock needle it needs to go to groove 5. Richen the main accordingly too, or you will not see the improvement that more air can bring.

I plugged my airbox holes because debris was prone to being blown into the box, particularly water splashes, and I can't "feel" any difference as a result. I recommend it. I also leave the airbox drain cap off, so if something does splash inside under the seat (which has never happened in many deep creek crossings over my tires) it can run right out the bottom.

Also - running with no lid elliminates the collapsing of the tube that connects the airbox to the carb (although the collapsing is so minimal I don't really know if it matters).

Old 04-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of these days I'm gonna ride some Utah mountains - sounds great!
I'll look you up when I come out...

Old 04-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if us flat-landers could survive above 2000 ft ! Not enough oxygen for me! lol.....

Old 04-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

3tv I am there with ya.

I live at 6400ft and ride between 4000 (utah) and up to about 7500 (sand dunes outside rock springs).

I am running the 185 dynojet and dynojet needle on the 3rd groove.

It runs pretty well. I am sure I could fine tune it, and I probably will when I get a chance to go out and run her good. Also, the temps vary so much around here it is hard to be perfect all the time.

Bat

Old 04-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

My hose clamps due work but sure due look ugly.

Old 04-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Bat,

Sometimes seat of the pants feel can be hard to tell but I can tell you what I found. I started out with the K&N in the air box and it was an improvement, then took the lid off and it was better yet but I was still rich. I still had the stock Jetting at the time as I was awaiting the arival of the jet kit. Then I got angry at the place where I orderd it from and called another. They highly recommended the carb mount and the kit so I said WTH and got it. I first put on the carb mount and the thing would hardly run. I was freaking out, no power, the idle sucked and so forth. I read in the directions for the Jet kit and it said one way to tell if you are running lean is to take strips of duct tape and start covering the filter one at a time till the best performance was felt. Well I had covered up 2/3 of the filter before it was close to what I had with the filter in the box. It was way, way lean, thus meaning far more air. I then took the tape off and started on the jets. You know the story from there. For those who dont know, I went from haning with my bro's non-stock Raptor, to whipping him every race. Wyodunner can vouch for how well it runs. That weekend when I was out to the dunes and you were in UT riding, the whoops from the parking lot to the dunes were FULL of water and I was so stoked to ride I didn't even think about the filter and blasted down the road. I was throwing water all over the place and was completely soaked. When I hit the dunes the machine spit and sputtered some and I was like[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Then I thought about the filter. I let it idle for a second and then it cleared up and I rode it hard for a few then checked the filter and dry again so I got lucky but the water was 1 to 2 feet deep and I was hitting it hard and it is still with me. So the filter in the box, hosta forever. I sold it last summer to another guy with a DS here in GR. Now one of these days I just need to get off my **** and get the box removed. Thats what I found, sorry for the novel all!!

Demon