CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV Suspension travel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems to always be a topic that seems to come up in conversations with my fellow riders, but there always seems to be either a misunderstanding or just guessing going on. For example on my 96banshee I'm running +2 a arms which would naturally increase the travel of the suspension. But, by how much and dependant on what machine has always come up for debate. I would guess some where around 10" using Ohlin shocks. But I also have a friend that is only running +1 a arms on his 98banshee but is using dual rate Works shocks. and I would swear to you that by seat of pants it feels like his machine has more travel than mine. It also looks like his machine sits up higher given similar tire height and shock adjustments. So the question is this. About how many variables are there when trying to figure out how much travel your running? Do some shocks actually give you more travel than others via being longer? I have heard of desert runners using 16" of travel for baja events, using some +4 a arms, is this a myth or real? A couple of my friends and I are trying to find out what is the best way to increase travel for dune jumping. I for one have bottomed out my frame numerous times using my setup in the dunes at a jump height of only about 4 feet. And I only weigh 175lbs. This doesn't make since being that you see pro guys on the videos taking table tops at 5-8 feet off the ground. I would also assume these guys are running about +11" on their 250rs. Any ideas? What is optimal travel for dune and tabletop jumping?

Old 04-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

If I was to go about fixing this issue as to add another 2 inches of travel what would be the easiest and/or least expensive way about doing this?I believe with my setup I'm already sitting at around 10 inches.

Old 04-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Range Rover

http://www.houser-racing.com/Long%20Travel%20A-Arms.htm

There is a link to the houser racing website, they have long travel a arms w/ 19" shock (not sure the travel or if that is the travel) Also what would this entail for the rear shock, would you have to go long travel with it also?

I have been wondering the same things you guys are, I want a shock that will handle huge jumps but I do some woods riding so zps is out, as I would like to keep my ground clearance. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

-Josh