CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Electric fans.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow never been to louisiana but Ya'll must have some pretty sticky sand over there{or your dealers messing with your head]Good luck!

Old 05-04-2002, 03:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You guys jinxed me or something, because I just got back from Little Sahara, OK and my red light came on several times while I was there. My bike runs a little hotter with the stock headpipe back on and the Yoshi slip-on. The ceramic RWR full system really did help keep it cooler, as I've heard of many ceramic systems, quads and bikes alike. It only came on when riding woods trails at lower speeds through the twisting tedious turns for long periods, but once I broke out into open sand the air rush cooled it right down in a snap.

Looks like I'll be getting a fan, but I'll mount it with grommets this time. Somebody said this is happeneing on the new models - I'll have to go to the dealer and check it out..

Old 05-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a ratio of 80% distilled water and 20% coolant will help quite a bit. The heat disapation properties of antifreeze sucks at best. The word "coolant" is a oxymoron. Be sure it is distilled water to prevent buildup.

Old 05-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The heat dissipation properties of water sucks, the main purpose in life for glycol is to dissipate heat. Even in environments where freezing is not an issue, like indoor industrial equip, glycol is used for a heat transfer fluid. Water by itself will not transfer heat as well as water/glycol, and is also corrosive, even to aluminum.
I don't know what the magic ratio numbers for the best heat transfer/corrosive inhibitor is, 80/20 may be better, I've no idea, but in Indiana winter 80/20 is not enough freeze protection.

Old 05-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that is an insinuation that antifreeze dissipates heat better than water than it absolutely erroneous. Water defineitely dissipates heat better the propylene glycol simply raises the boiling point higher so if you do have trouble it won't boil over as quickly and loose your coolant.

Old 05-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes rocky your theory seems to be correct.I know in my in my buiness thinner hyd oils lubricate much better.Due to heat disapation and i had my mechs in my shop do an experiment today.they puy 24 oz of glycol and 24 oz of water in containers and heated then in our thermal oven used to test hyd oil propertys.And then when they reached 240f deg we set them in front of a fan and the water cooled at almost twice the rate we took the two from 240 to 100 the glycol was at 2.01 min. the water was at 1.07 min quite a diff.we will thin my mixture tommorow.

PS: the results were so drastic the margin of error dosent matter!!!!

Old 05-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm apparently mistaken about the usage of Glycol for heat transfer in the equipment I work with, its cool how this forum can help with stuff other than your bike.
Cool test you did there AZSAND. Can you get that technical with some corrosion resistance testing? With my level in the middle of the expansion tank, after the motor heats from a hard ride, the tank is nearly full, then drops as the motor cools. This is with 60/40 ratio, will the expansion change if I dilute?
Being in Indiana, I need freeze protection in the winter, but i can always change the fluid for the seasons...
Also, what's the definition of erroneous?
I'll be happy if doing this elliminates my red light from coming on once in a great while. If so, I won't need that new fan after all...

Old 05-12-2002, 04:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AZSand, you ought to try that same test with Engine Ice. It is a coolant that is supposed to help cool the engine by *UP TO* 50 degrees. I added that coolant and some Aluminum radiator shrouds to my ATV and noticed a drastic difference in how much and how often the fan came on, I'd be interested to see how it would do in the type of test you did.

Old 05-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes thats what im thinking frist were going to try and drop my solution 15% them we'll go from there that will give me a 25/75 mix.

PS:Ill pay attention this time. where can i get engine ice you have my full attention this time.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

AZSand,

When I became interested in Engine Ice I first emailed the mfr.(there is an email link at the bottom right of their homepage) and asked them about it's use in an atv. Then mere days before I was going to start looking for some place online to order it, my local shop got it in stock for about $15/bottle (1/2 gallon.) You can call Engine Ice to see if they know of anyone more local to you who is selling the product. Engine Ice Distribution page Otherwise, you can get it for sure at my shop JMG Motorsports 661-259-8460.

Quick Reply: Electric fans.