CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just have to throw in my .02 I have the Sand Skate II's from Sand Tires Unlimited along with their Razorback fronts. I absolutly love my tires. They hook up extremely well and they float very well. I know Bat doesn't like his on his Raptor but I love mine on my DS. Now if I could ever get with Bat so we could touch the two off in the sand we would be able to compare the two. One of these days I am sure we will. I will also say how well I NOW like my fronts. I at first didn't like them that well but now I do. See my new topic as for why. I am being lazy tonight LOL.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Chop - talk to people who have geckos first - A guy I know doesn't like them, they dig into a hole easier because of the narrow width, and although they hook up a little better than other vees like sharks and trakkers, they don't turn as well as they do. This is only one opinion, others may feel different. Worth looking into though...

I've ran almost every vee there is, I think the edges have the best straight line traction of all vees. I miss the quick spin around you get with a vee now that I run haulers, but the haulers do handle well anyway so I'm not hurt by it. There is something to be said about being to run up a hill, spin around on a dime and come right back down the same tracks you went up - I can't do this with my haulers, at least the ten paddles anyway...but the haulers are better than the vees for running a straight line along the sides of dunes, defying gravity and keeping you sideways - its a blast.

Old 05-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

I see everyone is running 10" wheels. Why not run the 8" wheels? The 8" wheel/paddle package weighs less than the 10" wheel/paddle package. the lower weight is due to the big weight savings with the smaller wheel. You still come out ahead buying an 8" wheel and running a larger (12) tire.

Also, the whels are un-sprung mass, this is the best place to look for weight savings.

thanks for any insight.

Old 05-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

The weight diffrence between a (Douglass) 8" wheel & a 10" wheel is negligable. However a 8" tire will be quite a bit heavier than a 10" tire because of the extra 2" of side wall.

Yes wheels & tires are a good place to reduce unsprung weight. While at Sahara I showed the Indy guys a set of comp cut paddles. They weighed less than 1/2 the weight of my Extreme Haulers, But they were so thin you would get flats much easier.

Old 05-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

moose,

Thanks for the reply. I was told by a friend at rocky mountain atv that the weight of a skat trak edge wheel/tire package was more than 1 lb per wheel less for the 8" wheel with larger tire (12).

He claims that he knows the exact weight as he ships them all the time (needs to know thr weight). He compared the 22x11x10 to the 22x12x8.

Maybe I need to do more checking.

Old 05-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

DO they even make a 8" wheel for the ds?

Old 05-07-2002, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

There's no 8" wheel for the DS because the hub is to big

Old 05-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

If I remember correctly aluminum wheels are lighter than most tires. That's why some people go for the 12" wheels.
Correct me if I'm wrong!

Old 05-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll sacrifice a couple pounds if I have to, to get the much better looks of a 10" wheel.

Old 05-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

then lose the wieght and go with magnum itps on twelves almost half the weight than stock or so it feels like. and thats what allows you to run such a big tire is less weight neans less wasted torque.i think

ps YOU are definetly right organdonor! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Paddles