CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What Problems have with your DS or Baja

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

neutral light went out. My swingarm bolt was so tight it wouldn't rebound, I fixed that.
everything else A-OK. Even my stock chain roller [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

i put the aftermarket chain roller on there and i never had a problem since. as for the fan my fan crapped out so i took a small electric fan off of a car and rig it up. IT is not thermostatic so when i turn the key on the fan comes on and stays on all the time. work really good.

scooter

Old 05-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my DS in May of 00 dealer told me they were cold blooded so I didnt think nothing of the hard starting. Then in 01 I got my exhaust and filter put on and got beat by a stock 01 DS 3 out of 5 drags. While at Silver Lake Dunes in Sept. of 01 I still ran with a stock Raptor that was the last time until this spring I got to ride except around my house. This spring it wouldnt start at all. Took it to a dealer and it cost me $600 to replace the valves (parts and labor etc.) seems the dealer I bought it from forgot to tell me how important it is to have the valves adjusted the first 10-15 hrs. I guess I should have read the owners manual a little better. Since getting it back it runs good cold once warm if you let the rpms drop at all once in midrange it has a real bad stutter like the choke is on (its reeeeal bad) once rpms are back up it pulls great. Any ideas??? Needles to rich??

Old 05-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

woodchk,
Sounds like the idle screw adjustment. Turn the screw (bottom, center of the carb next to the float bowl) IN 1 to 1-1/2 turns and that should clear it up, if not then your carburetor float may be set too high.

Your valves were damaged due to lack of adjustment? Ya know, it may be possable but I really doubt it. Certainly you would have noticed a serious loss of power as the valves either burned or were bent from hitting the piston. It doesn't make sense that it ran good when you last shut it off then the valves were damaged when you attemped to restart it. Also, I have not heard of valve problems with the DS before, maybe someone else on the forum has though.
If you got the old valves back, you may want to have another shop check them. If they are damaged, let us on the forum know so maybe it will help the next guy to avoid the same problem.

Old 05-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

JSsDS.....sounds like his dealer took him for $600.00[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

My intake valves were "tuliped" causing them not to seal properly. The intake were so tight that you couldn't even fit a hair under the cam. I checked them after the first 20 hours or so and they were fine, then I rode for a season. When the riding season was over that's when I found them to be tight. Probably due to over reving.

Old 05-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OK, How do I check my valves? I'm going to do this before the Nightmares start.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Organdoner,
Mine were tight as well (.002 clearance) and maybe his valves were damaged in this manor but I seriously doubt it. It sounds like he had some old gas in the carb and fouled plugs. A couple new plugs a carb cleaning and presto, a DS that runs a little richer then before. I could be way wrong on this but I see it way too ofton to be naive.

Sorry woodchk I hope were not bumin you out. I hope you got your old valves back and you can tell me I'm wrong. That will make me happy and others on the forum can take heed to the effects of neglected valves.

Old 05-07-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

DS-650 valve adjustment and maintenance

compliments of glamisdunes.net

Old 05-08-2002, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I'll try and explain this how the dealer did to me which still makes absolutly no sense to me. I call them they say that the valves werent closing all the way even with the thinest shims in. They say hopefully you didnt damage that precious $680 head. I say me too. They say all 4 valves around $150+ Labor. I say new baby might not have enough denero. They say I'll let you know whats up with the head when we get it all the way apart. 3 days later I call they say good news head ok. I say ok how long to get valves. They say already on the way. I restate baby. They say needs valves anyway. I hang up with sick feeling. Day later I stop by to arrange pickup of box of parts and quad till money situation ok. They say good news its DONE.... $600 please. If i hadnt had 2mo. son I'd have cried. Cashed in pop bottle money, emptied rainy day fund and got it out of hock.

Thinking back it didnt seem quite as jazzy as it was new but the big problem was it just got harder and harder to start. 85 degrees and still having to choke it was a reality. Before I took it in I put fresh 92 octane fuel and 2 new plugs in it. It wouldnt start on its own but if pull started with choke on it would idle. Touch the throttle or the choke and it would die.

The worst part was having to listen to all the trash talk from the Raptor punks at work. Bet you wish youd bougt a Yamaha. Ive rode a raptor and I like my DS thank you.

I got the old valves back and they all look as if they were slapping the seats real bad. JSsDS I would be willing to send them to you to take a look at if you would be willing to send them back. If theyre worth saving Im gonna have them cleaned up. By the way thanks for the tip on the idle air screw Im gonna try it this weekend if I dont have to work.

Quick Reply: What Problems have with your DS or Baja