CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What Problems have with your DS or Baja

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story woodchk and congrats on the new addition. I have never seen the Rotax valve removed from the engine so I won't be much help there. You can ask Knutz, he has had many apart, maybe he can take a quick look at them. What do ya think Knuts? Or maybe, if Knutz agrees, you can take a few good close up digi pictures of the valves from different angles and e-mail them to him for an opinion. That would be alot easier.

Ya know, I might have believed 1 maybe 2 valves but all 4??? Timeline sounds pretty impossable as well. I really hope they didn't rip you off especially after telling them of the new baby. That would make them first on the list for a good ol ghetto beatin. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

Is this valve problem that "woodchk" had an isolated issue or has anyone else had some similar issues? I have had my Baja since November last year and have yet to adjust my valves, I guess that I should be scheduling some ride time to do maintenance instead!

Also the valve adjustment document that "Buttfungus" posted a link for, has a couple of crutial typo's. I would recomend that if you are not mechanically inclined then do not attempt to do this maintenance alone. e.g. the article states "that it is possible to have TDC twice 180 degress apart"! Section "Taking it Apart" in the "Valve adjustment" document.

This is incorrect, In a four stroke engine the piston reaches TDC every 360 degrees and fires every second time it reaches TDC, that is the difference betweeen a two and four stroke engine.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

hEY WOODCHK SOMETHING SOUNDS FISHY HERE AND WERE NOT AT THE LAKE.to answer your orininal question i had a friend who rides with our group with the same starting problem you had and it was a result of a burnt valve.he could not hardly get his to start cold once he got it started and warmed up compression in place it started alright.but that was only one burnt valve though.the posibilty of all 4 i just don't know DON????? he should know but he must be very busy.any ways my ds is two seasons in and as far a valve adjustments none we insalled the valves properly and no problems and i hammer my girl HARD!!!! my theory is if the bike starts and runs good no conditions that warent don't touch it!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

No problems. (Someone had to say it.)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I took the quad in for the 10 hour service and have not checked my valve clearances since.

When the chain roller starts making noise, I tighten the chain. To me it seems to be a good alarm that the chain is loose. I bought an aftermarket roller and have it in my bag still in the wrapper. If the stock one goes, I have a replacement.

I expect the clutch to start slipping soon (Bought a Woods CDI but, not installed yet.) I have installed a tach and hope the light doesn't go out with the increased RPM's.

Last weekend, I was side-hilling a tiny dune and my tire caught and sent me over. In the process, I broke the oil return line into the oil tank. Looks like they changed the location of this on the '02 or just on the '02 Baja (as my buddy has an '02 Baja). Luckily, it is a 1/4" fitting. It is located on the left side of the quad just under the front plastic and screws into the oil tank with the other end connected to the oil line. I rode for most of the weekend with the front plastic off so if the line came loose it would spill all over me alerting me to shut-her-off. Definitely do not want to run without oil. The fitting is either pot metal or aluminum and is a 1/4" male thread to a slip fitting. It looks like about a 105 degree angle fitting. I went ahead and ordered two from my dealer figuring if I had an extra, I would never need it because it would never brake on me again, things just work out that way. They are about $5 each.

My buddy with his '02 Baja lost a couple lugs (I had two so I was able to cover him.) I suggest keeping two extra lugs in a parts bag.

What other spare parts do you guys keep on hand?

Old 05-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I always have bulbs, fuses (15A & 25A), solder and iron, terminals (ready for any elec. problem), plugs, my stock CDI in case my new one fails, cleaners, lubes, oil, liquid gasket, antifreeze premixed 60/40, chain roller, various nuts and bolts, tire repair stuff & pump, chain links and break (not yet for the DS 530, but for other bikes, 530 links soon to come), and a spare thumb throttle because I've broken them before and it sucks to be down for that little item. Also, epoxy putty for repairing anything on a temp basis to get me through the day 'til I can get a new part. Puttied a thumb throttle before, worked great, its the spare I now carry for the DS. 100 pound tool box always on the trailer. I think repairs in the parking lot or at camp are part of the fun, especially if its on somebody elses bike instead of my own...

I'll get an elbow hose barb for the oil line now, since its cheap, easy, and easily broken.