CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Temp light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm dreaming but this weekend I swear my temp light started blinking. I turned it off and let it sit for a while but I never saw it come back on. Can someone tell me if it blinks or if it just becomes solid. I only heard my fan turn on once.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The temp light is also an oil pressure light. If it ever comes on, it comes on solid, no blinking unless the switch that is turning it on is screwy. If the red light comes on, it could mean overheat, or it could mean low oil pressure. Overheat is the most common and likely though. If it comes on, you shut the bike off for a while to cool, and then you restart and it is still on, you may have an oil issue so kill it and tow. It may be just a faulty pressure switch, but don't take the chance until you can diagnose it.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a little tip for future references guys. You can go to any autozone or any auto parts store and get a oil sending unit for a chevy 350 and it works perfect in the place of the defective ds unit. I once had one go bad on my first DS and they were on back order from Bombardier so I went looking for a temporary solution but it worked out so good I left it in there as it is better than the bombardier unit, and it only cost a few bucks versus bomby's much higher price. Greg

Old 05-07-2002, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you sure the Chevy unit trips the contacts at the SAME pressure? If it does, then cool, if not then the oil pressure could be too low for the DS, but not low enough to trip the switch and bring on the light. What psi do they both trip at?

Old 05-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I am going by memory here because I did this little interchange about a year ago and at that time I had the service manual for the DS and when I sold my first DS I let that 75.00 little book go with it. I think the DS light is set to go off at something like 3 to 7 lbs and the one for the chevy 350 was so close I think it was 5 to 7 lbs and I also think these things vary from one manufacturer to another a few lbs so I am thinking that a few lbs either way is no big deal and will make no difference in this case. I think that i will work fine and actually be better built than the ds unit. But correct me if you think I have it wrong here. Very good question though. thanks greg

Old 05-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

While having some service work done on mine recently the dealer asked me if mine blinked seems it was free of charge update. Might check w/your dealer about it before spendin outta pocket.