CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How do you set the toe on the DS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would I go about setting the toe on my DS, I would like to set it to 0. How would I do that?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Old 05-09-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, check out the thread, adjustments=best day riding ever, the one I put up. I desribed how on there.

Old 05-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Toe setting:

Set toe after you set the front shock preload where you want it, because a change in preload will effect toe setting. The toe changes throughout the travel of the suspension...

Set toe with you on the seat in normal ride position. Somebody will have to measure for you, or put somebody of equal weight on the seat.

Measure across front of tires, then across rear of tires, in line with the center of the hub - not rim to rim. The difference is toe. Larger measurement in front is toe-out, smaller measurement in front is toe-in. If your tires have a seem around the middle then this is a perfect place to measure from. If not, measure **** to ****.

Loosen lock nuts on both ends of tie rods, turn each rod the same amount to keep the handlebars straight with tires, until desired toe is reached. Go a 1/4 turn on each rod, measure toe, repeat until desired toe is reached. Keep in mind some of the nuts are left hand thread, you'll just have to figure it out. You'll also have to figure out which way to turn the rods for toe-in or toe-out.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I think I got it now, toe is how far out the back of the tire sits in relation with the front kinda like this / the top being the front of tire, and bottom being the rear. Am i correct in assuming this? Am I also right in assuming that 0 means they sit even?

Thanx

Old 05-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The difference between the front of the tires and the back of the tires is toe, if they are equal then yes, its zero, or neutral toe.

The difference between the top of the tires and the bottom of the tires is camber, not adjustable on stock a-arms.

The angle between the vertical center of the top ball joint in relationship to the center of the bottom ball joint, when viewed from the side, is caster, alos non-adjustable on stock a-arms. Ideal caster is between 7 and 9 degrees, the DS is 5, hence the somewhat sensitive steering. It can be tamed with 1/8 toe out, or even neutral toe for some riders, versus the typical toe-in that most bikes have with the proper caster angle.

Old 05-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Any luck yet Kodiak?

Old 05-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I changed it some, it seems like it wants to pull to the right, but I cant really tell. The ruts around here are getting pretty bad. I ordered a Denton Steering Damper, it should be here Wendsday, If it still tries pulling to the right after I put it on I will make some more adjustments.