CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why does my DS shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is my DS shutting off on me?

Here is what happened: I was riding ***** to the wall down the rode about 3min. and it started to sputter when I pulled in the clutch, but if I hit the gas it would stop sputtering, but if I left off the throttle for a few seconds it shut-down, so I pulled over and tried starting it.....no luck. Then I pulled the choke out 1 click and it started right up, I left it choked for about a minute, and then turned the choke off. I had already been riding for about an hour and a half, and it ran fine for the rest of the day. It has happened twice before that.

What is causing this???

Thanx for the help

Old 05-14-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt in your fuel? Drain your bowl and petcock and see if it happen again. You can also add some fuel dryer, you might have some water in there. Could also be as easy as you ran the bowl dry from the long run full throttle.

Old 05-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

HEY KODIAK you'll need to do some testing but i have seen many case when running ***** to the wall for long periods that the gas cap can not supply enough air to compensate for for consumption and cause a back up on fuel[prevention vented cap]and also on real good runners they have a miniscoule fuel outet you may have to drill your petcock jeff told me this one and it worked.later good luck hope this helps

Old 05-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

AZ, I looked at my petcock a while ago and the walls were rather thin, stock. Will it really make a diff if I take to the next drill bit size?

Old 05-15-2002, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

IT did make a difference for me i was running out of gas at the last few feet of the big hills.And now i can charge all the hills with no problem.

Old 05-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

same thing used to happen to me until I put a beather tube in the gas cap, next time it happens, crack the gas cap lid open and see if that doesn't solve your problem, if it does you'll know what to do

Old 05-15-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

If you have an aftermarket CDI, chances are you pinched off the stock breather hose when outting it on. I did on mine. it is a clear little hose that runs down that side. I would check that as well.

When drilling the petcock, did that help with the top end? It seems mine gets a tad week on the top.

Old 05-15-2002, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

<< HEY KODIAK you'll need to do some testing but i have seen many case when running ***** to the wall for long periods that the gas cap can not supply enough air to compensate for for consumption and cause a back up on fuel[prevention vented cap]and also on real good runners they have a miniscoule fuel outet you may have to drill your petcock jeff told me this one and it worked.later good luck hope this helps >>

Jeff are you telling all my sercets. Shoooo LOL

J Ross

Old 05-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

It's A DS.

Old 05-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe because hummmmmmm, it's a DS? (just messin with you guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Quick Reply: Why does my DS shutoff