CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can it be Done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've been thinking and I've decided that as a winter project, I'm going to convert my Bomb, to a CR or KX500. If any body has any discouraging or encouraging hints, please tell me. Also if anybosy has beat me to this, please send me pictures if possible. Thanks

Old 05-18-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

It would be a lot of work the drive sprockets are on the different sides. It would be easier to put those engines in a 250R frame.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:26 AM
Range Rover

well i know that the older atc 250r's had right side chain drive. and so do the polaris quads but i doubt you wanna use one of them. i know tha ti lot of the french and italian dirtbikes have right side chain drive so you migh have luck with one of them. unless of course you could put a 250r of ex swing arm on the back of your ds. it would take some serious fabrication but im sure it could be done. i to am thinking about a motor swap for my ex but im not sure what. i got a friend who is gonna sell me is 85 kdx200 so i might throw that in for $hits and grins. probley wont be that fast but it should be a fun project. anyways let me know how it turns out and good luck

Old 05-19-2002, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Phaskell, I completely forgot about CR and KX's being left side chain driven. I have been thinking and I'm decided that it will be a big bore 2 stroke in my DS frame. I have been thinking hard and I think I may have came up with the motor I need. It was shown in a old Dirtbike magazine probably a year ago. It is a Maico 760. If memory serves me correctly it was a right side drive. If anybody knows for sure please post here any information you have on it.