CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

best pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all, i was wondering if anyone knows what the best pipe would be for a baja?? i now bombardier used the pipe from CT Racing to when the baja race but since there has been new companies coming out with pipes for bombardier is it still the best pipe?
i don't have a baja yet but as soon as i sell my 400EX i am going to try and find a used one. thanks

Old 05-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I too have tried a couple pipes.

I first bought the Ron Wood Racing pipe, loved it - the sound, the power, the looks, all are sweet. I also purchased the Supertrapp end cap adapter from RWR, and installed disks to be USFS approved and quieter. 18 disks sacrificed no power anywhere, and actually seemed to improve low and mid throttle response for me, with no significant jetting change either. I'm 6'-8" 240# and jump, so the swingarm tapping was a problem for me. If the pipe hits the swingarm then the midpipe moves in and out of the collars of the headpipes, wearing metal and eventually causing leaks. If your preload is set correctly for your weight, then it really takes a lot to hit the swingarm, so unless you plan on getting a pilot's license then don't let it discourage getting this pipe - its sweet. It lets you use the stock heatshield too.

I now have the Yoshimura slip-on, with stock headpipe. Jetting stayed the same, indicating it flows as much air, at least on my stock motor. Power is great, pretty much the same throughout the powerband as the RWR, except I think I lost a tad bit of that response mentioned above from losing the disks. It feels just like the open ended RWR pipe, but a good bit quieter, and it has a spark arrestor screen. All stainless, muffler included, no coatings or paint. Beautiful pipe. A foot shorter than a lot of others too, doesn't stick out past the grab bar like most, fits just like the stock muffler so you won't damage it in a flip.

Nobody around here has any Dyno's for you, no HP #'s or official testing of all pipes on the same bike, so all you'll get for advice is stuff like me and 3TV just posted.

Look at Knutz's post for testing stock mufflers with modified end caps - over 50HP!!

Old 05-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the ProCircuit Slip-on. It was inexpensive and looks nice.

Hits the swing-arm slightly on big air jumps and is noisy. I bough the quiet core insert but have not tried it (I don't want to lose power.)

If I were to spend the money on a more expensive pipe it would be Yoshi or CT. Probably the CT for me based on what it did for the Raptor.

On a bang for the buck scale the ProCircuit is a 10. It was less than $200 from Rocky Mt. ATV. Pipe went on easy and I noticed riding to be easier since I now don't have to shift as often. It used to be I would have to shift if in too high of a gear at too low of an RPM. Now, I just press the throttle and it powers up to speed.

Old 05-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

I also have the Pro-Circuit Slip-on. I have never had it hit the swing-arm, and I jump alot about 35-40ft high & some times as much as 50-60ft in length. Also it is no louder than any piped 400EX I have heard.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

I bought the Pro-Circuit after PM's to and from theFastertheBetter. Overall fit and finish is good, I've hit the swingarm as well, not a big deal. The sound is deep and powerful, not overly loud though. I bought the quiet core, put it in to feel the difference and it does make it quieter, but kills nearly all the power gain. Great price and very happy with the performance.

Old 05-17-2002, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

I'm running Big Dog's Full Race System. I'm very pleased with performance, sound and finish. As far as the install, I had to take off a little more material (ceramic coating) on the head pipes then I wanted in order for them to fit into the collector, but no leaks and no complaints. Good Spark arrestor too. Alittle on the loud side but I never really noticed until I watched someone else ride off while I was looking and listening. Sell the 400EX, buy a DS, good chioce, later, Rich A

Old 05-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

Whoop's! Who let the Dog out? I meant Big Gun Full Race System. Although my seventy five pound Basset Hound rides with me on my Baja all the time, so I guess I wasn't mistaken at all, Rich A

Old 05-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

thanks everybody this is good info, but does anyone have a CT Racing pipe?

Old 05-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have never seen a quad 35 to 40 feet high before. How do you only go 60 feet distance off a 40 foot high jump?

Old 05-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hightower, Its called the "Rainbow" jump![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]LOL.

Biggerisbetter.

Quick Reply: best pipe