CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can it work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here goes well I've been looking around deciding which ignition box to get when I stumbled upon one in my Dennis Kirk magazine. It is a universal rev limiter, it's made by DYNA. You can adjust it from 6,000 to 12,000 and I was wondering if you I could use it and just set it at say 9,300 which is where others are set at. The main reason I wanna knwo this is becasue the DYNA unit only costs $102. Go to www.denniskirk.com and find it to check it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not positive here, but based on the description I just read about this device, it seems to work together with the stock ignition, and can be set to limit rev, but it states that "it will not overide a stock rev limit". Like maybe it is for ignition systems that have no limit, and you want to add one. Don't quote me here though, not really positive.

What I do know about the DS specific CDI's offered is as follows:
The power gains are not just from an increased rev limit, but also from igniton timing advances. The ignition timing with the RWR and Pami CDI's is more advanced throughout the rev range than the stock unit, also giving a higher peak HP rpm. As an added plus, the pesky rev limiter is elliminated so you don't bump it all the time at 7700rpm. Of the 4 I know of (RWR, Pami, Alba, and Graydon), only the Graydon has a limiter - set at 9300rpm. The other 3 have none. This can be a little troubling for some people, so you need to be willing to accept the responsibility of not over-reving. Tapping 10 grand once in a while won't blow her up, but hold it there for a long time and you might run into issues. Tether kills are encouraged for bikes with no limiters, so the motor won't grenade if a wreck pegs the throttle at 10 grand (very unlikely, but easy enough to avoid the possibility).

Knowing that the aftermarket CDI's for the DS are designed just for her, gives you the confidence that the timing and power gains are optimum, and you're getting the most out of your money, even though they cost a bit more.

Old 05-26-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot, you confirmed what I thought. I will give Dennis Kirk a call and find out evrythign for sure and post ir here for anybody else who may have came across this rev limiter.