CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 12:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today i picked up a teather kill switch for my ds and i have no clue how to install it. So could anyone tell me how? thanks

Old 06-08-2002, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I'd also like to know, mine should be coming in on monday.

Old 06-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I forget which one goes where but one goes too ground the other to the black wire with the white strip should work.

Old 06-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a web page for how to install one on a 400EX, I imagine they will be the procedure or atleast give you a general idea. http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/ProDesign/

Old 06-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

I installed one a couple of weeks ago...no sweat...just a little head scratchin...biggest problem is bar space\location, which I ended up placing it just below the cross-bar on the left side. I run the teather under the cross bar to my belt loop. You might want to spray the unit with a light silicone spray (the 'key' and slot) so it'll release a little easier--I kept forgetting to unhook myself when getting off and the first day I broke the teather loop...anyway, this is what I did:

1. remove nose faring, tank shroud and tank (this would be a good time to do what the other guys are saying to do with the vent tube, i.e.--shorten it, drill a 1/4" hole in the tank shrould just forward of the gas cap hole to run the shortend vent tube through.

2. notice there are two wires on the kill switch (pro design's) the long one splices into the wire going to the coil (there are two coils on the DS--two spark plugs, two ignition coils--they are mounted near the 'head' under the front of the tank next to each other...sitting on the bike, the left one is 1 and the right one is 2). The black wire going into the left side of 1 is the wire you want to splice into with the long wire from your kill switch (check the instructions that came with it and use the positive\coil wire here). I bought a package of light blue plastic wire splicers (whatever they're called--there's NO cutting of existing wires involved!) from Wallyworld.

3. Now you want to splice into a ground wire with the short wire from the kill switch. On the left side of the quad, under the edge of the dash is a five+/- wire connector. One of the wires is black and white (ooops, this is where I'm just a little fuzzy in recalling--I took a chance visually guessing which one was ground and got it right...and I'm in AK now so unfortunately I can't go outside and take a look to verify--LOL, sorry) and this is where you want to splice the second wire into...

4. You should be in business now...barring unforseen errors in applying the splice connectors. Don't be afraid to shorten the wires from the kill switch as you are installing it so you don't have all that excess...doh! Use plent of wire ties... of course to test your system, install the key/fork thingy into the kill switch slot, turn on the OEM kill switch, start your DS, pull the key/fork thingy and the quad should die....have a beer! Celebrate! and hope you don't ever have to field test that new killer kill switch the hard way! If you have good friends like me you really didn't need one to begin with...they'll chase your bike for you while you writhing in pain where you got bucked off...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Jim

p.s.--one little problem i had was the plastic body of the kill switch is just that--plastic. Don't forget that when you are tightening the bolts that squeeze the two halfs together on your bars. I stripped two of the bolts...pulled 'em, applied some superglue, and reinstalled them, rode three days and it stayed on....yeah, I know...when it starts to slip and turn I'll drill the holes through the body, get some longer screws and nuts...

Old 06-08-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

hmm, jiminok probably explained it pretty good, but all I did, was mount it on the bars, and hook the long wire to the black wire with a white stripe that comes out of the handlebar switches (lights, start) and the short one to any plain black wire.

I used those wire splice connectors that you can buy at wal-mart for $3 bucks. you just put both wires in the connector, and mash it with pliers, and it's all hooked up! I didn't even take the hood off. took me about 10 mins.