CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ok I cant figure this out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went riding over the weekend at Knolls with DSaholic and some of his freinds. Let me tell you, that guy can air it. He took a really long air, not necassarily high, and severly bent his Works shock, then it flat snapped shortly later. Bummer. I want to say thanks to him and his girlfreind for their hospitality and also to his freinds for everything. Them guys are a riot to hang with. He even Monster trucked a car with his F250!!!! Way cool.

Now for my thought. Knolls is right in the middle of the salt flats and we went and did several long distance drag runs. Matt (DSaholic) had a slip on WB's and we removed the spark arrestor then the airbox lid. This of course required jetting and we ended up running a 190 in it. I had to rejet mine to a 185(see mods below). Isn't it supposed to be the more ar/fuel you get in/out the more power you make? I would pull him by about eight lenthgs and conitue to pull away. Same gearing but he was 22" tires making it taller in the long run and I was running the POS stock tires getting no traction. He should have been faster. Why do you think this could be? By the way the changes he did made a big difference.

Old 06-17-2002, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Jeff, I forgot to say earlier, this Knolls place would be awesome riding for you. Bring the Baja for the desrt race practicing and then run the 760 on the flats. You could actually see just how fast that thing could scoot across those flats and not worry, cept for maybe taking flight LOL. Thats something I would love to see. If you wanted to get really crazy, throw on the 40 and the 17 and really make it fly!! Dont expect many races thogh, there wanst much to run with.

Old 06-17-2002, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Hey whats up? Sounds like you guys had a blast! I'm just glad someones getting some quality time in on the bomb...anyway here's what your post inspired from me...for what it's worth. The last time I went riding I too removed my airbox lid and plugged my snorkel ports...quad ran like crap...backfiring in mid-range and zero top end...fouling plugs. The seat totally (in my case anyways) sealed the airbox opening--I had just raised my main jet needle and thought surely this isn't causing these types of problems...I wonder what else the people that pull the lid off do to keep the airflow?
Somany little variables play their part into drag racing...does DSaholic also have the CDI box, and I wonder about the quality of the fuel he was burning. I also saw that you have/had the 15 tooth counter sproket as opposed the 16t stock--that and the fact that he was running 22"s would count for a bunch in a drag...anyway, the main reason I replied here is to find out about those Works shocks...I've been thinking that they'd be a good addition to my quad and granted I don't get much airtime...

How long have you been running those shocks there, DSaholic? Do you feel like you got your monies worth? If you don't mind me asking, best price I've seen TRS w/out rezzies is around $400...is that about right? Thanks.

Old 06-17-2002, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Demon! Check my post at Marky's about St. Anthony. Your question why you were still pulling away is right there with jiminok's. Those taller tires suck for drag reasons, it take more horsepower to turn those tires. It is always better to run a smaller tire, like a 20" it's just more rotating mass than you need, especially for a fourstroke. 2 strokes produce better horsepower at a higher rpm than a fourstroke can produce period! Four strokes are more torque oriented than horsepower oriented. DO you snowmobile? Same principal applies, why do you think they never put in 4-stroke motors 10 yrs ago? I thought Knolls starts at 7000 ft? If it does and it's hotter than hell out there a 185 main is to rich, try a 180 or 175, I think you will notice a difference. Check Marky's for some more info and questions. Thanks, T.M.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Well first off Demon it is always a pleasure to find a new riding partner and we take care of our own so only expect the same next time we go riding.

Now on to the thoughts at hand. I am sick and tired of the works shocks I and considering going back to stock until I can afford a muck better quality set (Axis, Elka). I have bent two of the works shocks in about 20 rides. Granted I do Air it out but the stock shocks took the abuse better (I broke one of them and it was defective). So I say if you are a trail rider that airs it out on a smaller scale go for the works they are great in the woops and even better in the dunes but just can't hold up to the abuse that I put on them.

As for the drags my tires are quite a bit heavier than the stock and this was my downfall. I don't have the CDI but is will be my next addition. The fact that Todd's (demonDS) DS is a freakin rocket didn't help me either. LOL That thing was blessed by the Quad God when it was built.

Knolls is about 4 - 5 grand elevation. So our jetting was just about right. I might be a little rich but the 190 was all that we had (thanks to todd). The spark arrester and the air box lid made quite a difference which was real pleasing.

Now if Disurbed660 is reading good luck beating the Demon. One on my buddies that was there has a 2001 rapter with the yosi pipe filter and jet kit and Demon pulled him by 8-10 lenghs and I was dead even with him the whole way. So as for your raptor I think that you will be seeing just how easy it is to get beat by a DS.

Well I am done for now.....later

Old 06-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

I understand what you were saying about the bigger tires having more mass. Out of fun we put his tires on my quad and I went and ran it again. The holeshot was way faster and due to the power robbing at top speed, even with the taller gearing from the tires I think my top end was right close to being the same. So with the better whole shot and equal top end, the race results would have even been worse for those I raced. What I was getting at was, why would my quad be making more power with less air/fuel? We spent alot of time Saturday doing jetting and such so it was right on. The same seamed to happen at Sand Mtn NV also.

I have been thinking about the shock breaking problem. The way that shock bent/broke in a J shape, I have to wonder about the shocks angle. I am think the force is being displaced to the center of the quad. If the bottom mount was moved in(toward center of quad), or the top mount moved out, decreasing the angle of the shock, I wonder if the forces could be better asorbed by the shocks better verticle movement? I dont haveany other quads to compare it with but I know that Polaris runs there struts nearly streight up and down. Just a thought, what do you guys think?

Old 06-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just got off the phone with works (great cust service) they were very helpfull and the guy taht I talked to said that they can rebuild the shocks with the 5/8 in shafts instead of the 1/2 in and it would be about 200 bucks. I talked to him about the breaking of the shocks and he said that some times the shaft can't travel inside the body fast enough and the force is placed on the shaft which causes them to bend. So I guess I will give works one more chance to build me a shock set that can take the abuse. Plus 200 bones in a lot better that 900 for a set of pros that have the 5/8 diameter shafts.

So it looks like no riding for me until the weekend of the 28 which might be spent at St Anthony's. What do ya think Demon.

Old 06-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

The more air/fuel in and out will make more power, to a point.

If you were running a 185 with your bike, I would think his would run better with a 180-185. I know you said that the jetting was spot on, but maybe it wasnt. Just a thought.

I know that my bike is jetted pretty good for little sahara utah, but up here at our dunes. I was running a little rich and she would not rev out as much or as easily as down at little sahara. Plus, altitude will affect performance. When I was down at dumont, I was running the 195 dynojet main and the bike was running very very good. Pulling wheelies no prob, even with my fat *** on the bike.

Anyway, I think that maybe the jetting still was a little on the rich side, and also with you running the cdi and a full exhaust that probably made a diff.

Well those are my thoughts
Bat

Old 06-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

<< ....Now if Disurbed660 is reading good luck beating the Demon. One on my buddies that was there has a 2001 rapter with the yosi pipe filter and jet kit and Demon pulled him by 8-10 lenghs and I was dead even with him the whole way. So as for your raptor I think that you will be seeing just how easy it is to get beat by a DS. >>

Somehow I knew that somewhere in the Bomb forum I would find a reference to the lively discussions between DemonDS and Disturbed660.

Well, All I got to say is I want to be there when this race goes down. I got to race DemonDS earlier in the year and he and I had a pretty close race. Definately a fast Bomb you have there, DemonDS.

I rode with Disturbed660 this weekend and it was also a very close race (about 20 races actually). I honestly have to say that you each have the fastest machines I have seen for the level of mods you have. I'm referring to standard bolt-on mods and not internal engine mods.

I'll have videos of some racing from the weekend sometime this week and will post here when I do. If I were either of you I would not put money on a race - it's gonna be close.

Old 06-17-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

DSa, Sounds like a good deal. I would make sure they give you some kind of warrenty on the new shocks. I would tell them that you are skittish about the shocks now and are considering different ones if these shocks dont hold up. That might persuade them to help protect your investment. $200.00 could be a good down payment on some Elka's. Did you talk to them about changing the spring rates? That might help, dunno? Ohh hey is Mike OK with everything? He seamed like he felt pretty bad about the rim. Honestly it was no biggy, no harm no foul, he's welcome to it again anytime.

Bat, Be easy on yourself there, LOL it is just odd how the whole thing works with the jetting and it seams that I conistantly run a leaner jet than others and I know I flow as much or more than most and it's not lean. But the performance is fantastic. maybe I should shut up before someone does figure it out and next thing you know I get my rearend handed to me. speaking equal mods of course.

Quick Reply: Ok I cant figure this out!