CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Clutch Slipping due to Engine Oil!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I did:
I changed my oil (Valvoline 10w40) for the first time about two weeks ago, I have been out on my bike twice since and as i posted last time my clutch started to slip in 4th and fifth. I had asked for some advice about purchasing some new clutch springs(Just received RWS springs) and totally forgot about my previous oil change. What i need to know is some more details about the HP4 Oil that i am hearing so much about here. Or maybe you have some other feed back on which type of oil i should use.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:34 PM
TG1
Pro Rider
Old 07-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

TG1
thanks for the link, but alot of the guys on this forum have made the statement that this "SP4" oil(which i would like to know the manufacturer) work great on the bomb clutch and it hasd actually reduced the amount of slippage.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I use Honda HP4, and have RWR clutch springs, and haven't slipped a bit since their installation. It is the preffered oil of many engine builders. Its a semi-synthetic blend that has better protection properties than conventional oil, yet still doesn't interfere with the clutch like a lot of super-slick synthetics do. The downfall is its $6.00 a quart at the Honda shop.

Old 07-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

for what it's worth,,
in my 2 street bikes (v twin 650 & v four 1300)
I use mobil 1 red cap, about 4.25 qt, full synth,
with no signs of clutch slip in 18K miles..
if you can find the older style, tri syn, the formulation
is what I prefer, since they changed the oils a bit, & went with
the super syn, it caused a buzz in the bike circles..
some folks are using the new formula with no problems with about 1K miles so far..
typicially in a wet clutch setup you want to stay away from the oils
that say "energy conserving" on the back..this will cause clutch slip..
hope this helps..

Old 07-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only clutch slip I have ever encountered, even before the RWR clutch springs, was due to speed shifting in drag races. Other than that, never a slip. I haven't tried a full synthetic since the addition of the springs, so I can't say whether or not it will/won't slip. I have used Mobile-1 in my ATC350X for years, never a problem.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I run the honda hp4 also, this was on Don aka knutz reccomendation. He said he had used it for years and really liked the properties of it.

I have the pami clutch springs and not a problem of slipping at all.

Bat

edit: I buy mine at the local honda place also, but I get a deal at about $4 a quart.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are all on crack.if you actually believe that motorcycle oil is better then automotive oil for your machines then you're sadly mistaken.no motorcycle oil manufacturer has ever been able to prove that their high priced falsely advertised oil is better or will out perform a comparable automotive oil.

why pay for that high priced crap at the dealer wehen you can go to autozone and get the same stuff and usually better for less then half the price.i've been a firm believer in castrol GTX for years and it works awesome and i can also tell you that a alot of pro engine builders,tuners and racers alike all use automotive based oils in thier machines.
you're best bet is to not use synthetic based oils in a wet ckutch application

Old 07-03-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I also believe in GTX. I know other Bomb riders that pay $9 a quart for Redline and STILL have slipping. I use 1.25 a qt Castrol with stock springs and NO slipping.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry marky if i offended anyone by saying they are on crack.

and no the GTX is not a synthetic blend.it's a pure petroleum base.and after the testing i have seen as far as motorcycle oils and automotive type oils goes there's no way i would ever spend the money on those high dollar motorcycle oils.cause simply put the automotive oils out performed the motorcycle oils in motorcycle engines.and after testing was done it seemed the motorcycle oils were actually better suited for cars then motor cycles.out of the oils i've seen tested and if you read the link from the second post above it will tell you the same thing that i've known for years and that is that golden spectro is the lowest performing cycle oil made.
i have been running castrol GTX 10W40 for about 8 years with no problems with clutch slippage.i use it in my drag quad and my motocross quads with very good success.in fact i have 3 machines that are over 5 years old now and i have raced all 3 for 4-5 full race seasons and they are still on the original factiry clutches.and i am a A class racer.
and in my drag quad i have a 640 stroker kx 500 motor that runs on methanol and puts out over 100 horsepower and i have never had clutch slippage in that motor and i'm on my second year of serious abuse on that motor.
never had any premature wear on the trans missions in any of my machines.
and as cheap as it is you're more inclined to change your oil more often since it's not as expensive as the oil you by from your cycle dealer.a case of castrol GTX is like 10-12 dollars where a case of honda or spectro is like 45-50 dollars.
and i can afford to change my oil often at that rate.so thats probably why i have had such good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping due to Engine Oil!!!!!