CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Baja getting hot....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Baja DS, and when I ride the fan is on alot. I'll ride for 5-10 mins and it will come on, so I'll slow down a little bit, and it will go off. Sometimes I just stop the bike and leave the key on so the fan still runs, and start to ride again after it turns off. So I guess I'm asking what I should check on to see what's causing this. I ride it out on the Oregon coast and top temp. is maybe 75. The only things I have done to it are a modified end cap, and I have the air box lid off. Could it be running too lean??? If so, what do I do to correct that. Thanx for all the help.

Old 07-09-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

It does sound like you are running lean. You need to rejet to compensate for the modded end cap and air box lid removal. I had that same problem until I rejetted also. It still comes on, but not near as fast or as often.

Old 07-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

rejet, that should take care of it.

My fan still seems to come on a lot.

I have wondered if the thermostat that turns on the fan on the baja is set a little lower than on the regular ds. When I was at dumont, I was running the largest dynojet main that comes in the kit and the fan was still coming on quite a bit.

Bat

Old 07-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm fairly new to all this, so, here's another question. What size jetting do I need, where do I find these, and about how much do they cost?? I'm also looking into getting a full exhaust system, so if i rejet, then will it still work with the new exhaust??? Oh, and Bat....did you ever get the dyno charts on the trinity stage IV pipe? Thanx again.

Old 07-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Also make sure you wash off your radiator. if its full of dust or mud it will raise the temp faster and heat will not dissapate.

Old 07-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Baja, I would reccomend the dynojet kit. I think it really helps the throttle response and then you have an assortment of jets so you can change for future mods and altitude if needed.

I did get the dyno charts, they are not the finished product, or with fine tuned jetting. Harry sent them to me and made sure to let me know that they are not done messing with the pipe yet. So the performance numbers may change slightly.

It is really faint I have an old fax machine and it just came through very light. Basically most of the big gains are in the low to mid range. The torque curve looks great, really not a curve pretty much a straight line accross the page. 15 or so pd/ft gain in the low range and a couple on top. Hp numbers are about 10-12 more in the low to mid with a few on top. Looks pretty good. I would guess with airbox mods and jetting it would be a great pipe. I am going to order one soon. I love the look.

If anyone out there has pics of one please post them.

Bat

Old 07-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

If the fan is coming on, while your riding, but the red light isn't speed up, don't slow down. Also rejet up a few sizes

Old 07-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

mad is right. when i cruise the fan comes on sometimes & i know its nomal. go fast and the fan never comes on. Bat, i think the t-stat would be set higher if the fan is coming on more to cool it off.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Quick question here guys, does anyone know the correct order for the needle jet washers for Baja. A friend took his apart and can't remember how to put them back together and I don't have a stock carberator to check for him. There are three washers, one thick plastic and two metal ones one slihtly larger than the other. Do all three go above the needle clip or two below the clip, I just can't remember. The manual is not clear here either. Thanks for your help
Bearman

Old 07-10-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I am pretty sure the t-stat come on at 190 degree's. And Bat you were saying you kept jetting richer to see if it would cool your temps a little bit? Am I right about this? OR am i just reading you wrong? Ask Demon about jetting rich and fans turning on! We found he was running way to rich and and that his fan would come on more thatn usual. Once we rejetted it the fan hardly came on at all. When your rich the fuel burns late and causes alot of excess heat in the Head pipe which in turn heats up the coolant more. Remember you want your plugs a very light brown almost whiteish brown, not golden brown. And make sure you run Super unleaded also. Another thing when you are driving around slower and at a lower RPM, you will get hot because there is less air flowing past the radiator number 1, number 2, the water pump doesn't flow very fast at those lower RPM's. So if your in a tight area try and keep the RPM's up when you can't move real fast. Also try using a Synthetic oil they tend to dissapate heat a little better than conventional oil. I hope I could help a little. Good Luck!