CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A Arms and TCS Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed new Strongarm A Arms 1"/1" extended and TCS shocks, triple rate, semi advanced desert riding, rezzies, 5/8" shafts, last week. WOW! Why didn't they build the quad this way to begin with. I am running 3 and 6 degrees of Camber and Caster (don't remember which is which). What a difference. You don't need a steering stabilizer with this setup as far as I am concerned. Before when riding in the dunes when trying to change directions to go up hill, it seemed the rear end would always try to spin around on me. Now with the setup, the rear end tracks correctly. It gives you a lot stiffer steering which makes the quad much more controlable. I had a mishap a few months ago in some soft power. The bike seemed to always be a beast to keep it to track where you wanted it to go. It seemed to have a mind of it's own. Especially with the stock tires. Those tires suck bad. I now have the Pure Sport Bandits front and rear, 23" and 22". These tires work great and grip very strong. With the tires, a arms and the front shocks, it's like riding a whole new quad. Yes, the triple rate TCS shocks were 850 with rezzies and the 5/8s shafts, but they are so well worth it. Flying over rocks and you don't even feel it at any speed you feel comfortable with. The whoops are now handled more like a dirt bike's suspension. You can loft it over the whoops and when it gets out of hand and you hit nose first, the shocks just suck it up like nothing. I really love my quad's handling now. I have the Strongarm A Arms (I believe that is right). I ordered my stuff from Knutz. It took a bit because he was waiting to see if he could get my steering stem but I guess the person that he had building them is no longer making them. But after the setup that I have now, I don't know if I will need the steering stem. I think I will just wait till I bend it and have to replace it. I never knew how much of a difference a set of a arms could make. They are the best money that could be spent in my opinion. Having started riding on ATCs and then quads and now the DS, I have ridden almost every quad out there and never changed the suspension components. Always looked at the price and didn't think they were worth the money. But now having a set of the a arms and the TCS front shocks, I am thinking of getting the rear shock revalved from TCS. I let some other people ride my quad just so I could see how the suspension looked from the side and it's truely amazing the way this stuff works. I think the 6 degrees of caster (I think I am right on that word) is a little too tight on the steering when not moving, but who rides their DS slow anyway?? And now with this setup, I will always be able to ride much quicker. The steering no longer seems to push, you just turn and go. It took a few hours to get them installed and adjusted to the correct degree but now that it's dialed in, it's just amazing. I kept thinking of everything Fourlinxs had to say about the shocks and the a arms and thought if it was half as good as he was saying I would be happy. But I think it was 3 times better than what he was saying of the components importance for the quad.

Also added the Pami CDI unit, the bike accellerates much smoother now and seems to start easier. So nice not having to worry about a damn rev limiter.

Things took a little longer to get from Don at Knutz than I had hopped but the wait was sure worth it. He has good intentions and after I placed my order I started reading on here all the problems people were having with him. I was worried for a bit but when I got all my parts and installed them and rode my bike, all I have to say is thanks Don! Sure I could have gotten most of my parts from someone else, but I wanted Don to make the money on the deal. How many places can you go that people are actually trying to do something for us? Everyone I ever call for parts treats me like I should have bought the Craptor. Don treated me with respect and answered all the questions that I had for my quad. I sure hope Don stays around and gets things squared away. He has lots of knowledge of the quad that most people don't seem to have. You have to respect that. Yes, it seems he may have taken on more motors than he was capable of and I sure hope he gets things fixed for you guys, but to just sit behind a computer and rip someone a new one, that just isn't cool.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

It is good to hear thatyou like your set up. I think that you have the ASR A arms because the only way to get the strong arms is throught HSD racing. I am waiting on a set of them and should see them in about two weeks. If the setup is as good as you say I will be quite happy. I have the works tripple rates with 5/8 shafts in my garage just waiting for the A arms. Good luck with the new setup and Happy riding.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Get the rear done you will have an even smother ride.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, the rear needs to be done next. I can definately feel the difference in the way the front responds to the rear. I tried adjusting the compression and rebound on the rear shock and just couldn't seem to get it quite right. Almost like I needed a half click on each one.

As for the a arms and the heim joints, is there maintainence for them? Run them dry, grease the hell out of them, oil them, I just don't see how running them dry is good and of course the damn things came with no instructions and I had to use the Lonestar website's instructions to set them up. Those are some great instructions on their site that JeffNRivercity posted up.

Lonestar

Dustin