CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

No power going through the electrical system.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started my DS and rode it for awhile. Let it set to eat some dinner and went to restart and nothing. I turned the key back off and back on and nothing. There is no juice running through the system. What could be the problem? Where are the fusues at? Could it be the ignition key? I need help. I looked at everything I could think of. I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Only two fuses on the whole bike - one main fuse for the whole system, and one fuse for the cooling fan alone. They are located under the seat, one on each side of the airbox intake tube mounted to the frame in a nice little fuse holder. If the main fuse blew - it might've blown for a good reason, so there may be a direct wire short somewhere - maybe a damaged insulator or something. Or maybe the ignition switch died - hook the wires going to and from it together and see if you get power then, after checking the fuses.
Do you even get a red light on the dash? Headlights, anything? Did you leave the key on by mistake, and run the battery down to nothing? Just thoughts...

Old 07-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

There was no power at all. ZERO. It has to be a fuse. I just didnt know where they were. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The fuses are regular automotive - the main is a 30amp if memory serves me correct.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you measure? A little methodical troubleshooting should get you going again. Does the battery have voltage? If so, does the voltage drop under load? Do you have a voltage drop across the fuse(blown fuse)? Any voltage at the ignition? I have done a bit of electical troubleshooting in my day and 80% of the time its the power supply, in this case it would be the battery. Are the terminals corroded any? loose connection?

Old 07-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

The battery checked out ok. I have not looked at the fuses yet. I will at lunch. But, if it is the fuse, what could casue it to blow all of the sudden. I havent done anything to the bike. I rode it, shut it off. Came back to it about 20 minutes later, turned the key on and nothing happened.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

<< But, if it is the fuse, what could casue it to blow all of the sudden. I havent done anything to the bike. >>

In 3 words....too much current. Hightower is right, fuses blow for a reason. It could have been a current surge due to a temporary short to ground or there could be more serious problems. If it is the fuse, throw a new one in and see what happens. If it blows right away, some troubleshooting will need to be done. Let us know what happens.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

After reading that again it looks odd. You turned it off, let it sit and 20 minutes later came back and turned the key and nothing happened? I'd look at the switch and make sure you have a good connection. The key switch is just a normally open single pole, single throw switch, so you should have a 12 volt drop across it while the key is off and a 0 volt drop while the key is closed. you can easily acces the wires by removing the phillips head screw on the right side of the gas tank. Or take off all four and remove theplastic piece if you can't manipulate a multimeter and probes in there. just pull the wire connectors apart and put the multimeter probes in the connectors and see if you have 12 volts. If 12 volts is there, your fuses should be good.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, went home at lunch and checked the fuses. They looked good. I got a check light out and I got some current up by the dashboard but not much. so I figured I would check my battery once more. Now mind you when this happened last night I checked the battery. So I checked it again this afternoon and the battery is toast. It must have a short in it or something. What causes the battery to do this. I have read here before that once the battery starts going bad the quad doesnt run right. Well, it ran fine until I turned it off last night. So whats the deal? Do I have to get another battery from Bomb. Or can I use another brand? Thaks for your help so far.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

pretty sure you got a gett a BOMB battery, every post on here that ive ever seen suggested they had to get a dealer replacement.

$90-$120 was the range i saw in the post, you can do a search for it and see it also, it seems the DS's battery is an odd shape??

Quick Reply: No power going through the electrical system.