CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What are you pepz runnin for tires and rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you people running for tires and rims on your ds?

Old 07-11-2002, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm sure you're aware of how bad the stock dominators suck. Anything else on the planet is better than those, and what you get will depend on where you ride. I use the Ohtsu radials, because I ride mainly really loose terrain and there is no better traction out of any MX style tire, but they don't have good puncture resistance and cut easy on rocks if you're not careful. In my opinion, the best of both worlds is the Holeshot XCT. Ohtsus will give better traction in sandy terrain, but not a whole lot more, and the Holeshots XCT are really durable.

Stock rims suck too - they are .190 Douglas, intead of a rolled edge like every Jap bike has, so they suck and dent very easy. You can have rings welded in them for reinforcement like the Baja wheels, or buy wheels with rings in them already. the carbon fiber wheels narrow the rear width due to diferent offset, and there are mixed feelings around here about there durability.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Ok one more question. I bought sur traks, and I got a hole in one of them, so I used tire plugs and they still slowly leak, so I put some fix a flat in there and it work for a while but then later that day the plugs fell out. I think because the fix a flat.
Does any one know how to plug the tire better? thanks

Old 07-11-2002, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've ran SurTraks - very aggresive tire! Believe it or not, I used to run them on my 350X! Nothing they couldn't conquer...

Anyway, I've plugged many tires and they've all held up well, but the holes I'm plugging are just little ones - like from Locust tree thorns, nails, etc. I've got a Titan on my Arctic Cat that has three different plugs, and never loses a pound of air. Never used fix-a-flat or the like, never wanted to screw with the mess in the future when changing tires...
If the hole is too big to plug, remove the tire from the rim and have it patched from the inside with the hot-patch/melt method. A tire place down the road here charges $10 to dismount, patch, and remount.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Ya the hole i have is like inch or more. But thanks again for filling me in about the patch.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2002, 01:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can also tube a tire.

Old 07-11-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

if you are going to ride in mud get some Pure Sports Realtors for the rear. I have them on the stock DS rim and they are absolutly amazing and you can still spin them almost anywhere with all the torque the DS has!

Old 07-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

I am running stock BAJA rims. With 22" Razors in back and 23" Razors in front. I love these tires. Slide well, do good in sand and mud. Havent punctured them yet. By the way I got the 6 ply.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

I run Razors up front and 20"fast trekkers rear, on sand Haulers 8 paddle 20" in back and GBC sharkfin front, all on Douglas .,190
jetjock16.

Old 07-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

I run maxis razor up front , 22' Shredders on the Rear for the trails -(2.5 psi) -when i want traction (4psi)when i want wheelspin . (Shaved 7 seconds of a Run with the lower pressure ) !!

In the sand I run Raptor Radials on ITP rims . I like the traction better than the Ohitsu .

prokiwi.

Quick Reply: What are you pepz runnin for tires and rims