CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

carb mount filter back to airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gone from the carb mount filter back to the airbox?

I pulled off my k&n from the carb to clean and noticed that it is bent up pretty good. I am a big heavy guy, so I know why it is doing it, but I am curious if I go back to the airbox and leave out the tubes, and lid what kind of performance will I loose.

I am debating what to do at the moment, I want to protect the engine so I dont want sand getting in there, but I also want to have the performance.

suggestions appreciated.

Bat

Old 07-12-2002, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think you will lose much if any! heck it dont take long to put your tub back on try it. My k&n is smashed a little to but still keeps out the sand. I do need a new filter skin.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the carb mount K&N filter but changed my mind before putting it on. So I've got a brand new one unopened in the box if anyone is interested in a deal. PM me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I put the air tube back in with the stock filter.

First thing I noticed was that it started on the first try. Usually I would have to try about 2-3 times before it would start. I was probably lean on the idle circuit. I have not rode it yet, except to load on the trailer. I have my paddles on for duning tommorow and I will report back after that.

It did seem to rev out just as good as before. But that was not under load, we will see.

I also have a brand new one with brand new outerwares. I had a back up. I will see how the performance is and then decide if I want to sell the other one.

Hopefully she will still run good.

Bat

Old 07-13-2002, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Bat if you dont want to crush your filter anymore get and airbox style K&N and run the original Rubber boot from the carb back to the filter and zip tie it to the frame for support. You would have to jerk your airbox out for that though. You can mound the regulator to the left hand side of the frame with one bolt and a zip tie or mount it on the back side of the battery. but you would have to cut a little chunk out of your toolbox plastic and drill a hole for another bolt to go thru. I could probably snap a picture and e-mail it to you if you want to try it. That is how I used to have it set up before I put my 45mm in. Let me know. Have fun this weekend and let me know how it goes. T.

Old 07-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Angry, thanks for the tip.

I am going to try it like this and see how she runs.

I just did not like the look of that filter when I pulled it apart. I know I could trim the seat, or shim it, but not sure I want to do either of those yet.

I could also trim a little of the metal away, but dont really want to do that either.

Right now I have the stock paper filter in the airbox, if I dont like it when I get out there, it will only take me about 15 minutes to change back.

My main concern is filtering out the sand. I love to ride the sand and I just dont want to get any in the engine.

Well, I am starting to ramble, it is early and I have a full day of riding to come.

Later
bat

Old 07-13-2002, 01:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bat - you will lose with the stock filter, but a K&N in the box with no lid is about as good as a crab mount K&N, and it keeps off splashes and allows the carb breather tube to be put back where it belongs - on the side of the intake boot.
Don't go cutting and trimming - the gain from K&N in box with no lid, to carb mount K&N, is not worth it.

Old 07-13-2002, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Bat, I just switched back myself! My carb mount filter was all mangled looking and the outerwear had a hole in it! I put my stock k&n back in the airbox without the lid and it rev's pretty much the same or at least I can't tell the difference! Waiting on 1bearman's new stock intake tube replacement.....

Old 07-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hey fungus, what the hell did you do to your intake tube? I really don't see how you guys are crushing your Filters! Mine is rubbing on the bottom of the seat a little and has worn a few holes in the Outerwear but that is simple to fix just take some Electrical tape and put it across the wearing spot on top of the outerwear. This way the seat rubs on the top of the tape and not the sock. And no it doesn't block any of your air flow! Forget taking the lid off also it doesn't help any because the seat just sucks down on top of the airbox and barely let's any air in. You may as well drill some big holes in the sides of the airbox if you feel you need to run it. I know your a pretty big guy Bat and you know I am also but the trick is to stay off the front of the seat! That helps big time! I know this stupid seat design seems to push you toward the front of the bike all the time and I F@$#! hate that! But I guess Alba has a new Baja seat cover with that nice sticky material and that should keep you from sliding forward all the time. As soon as I have some extra cash I am going to get it. Bat I am going to email you a couple of pictures of how you can set it up with out that lousy airbox. Have fun today and let us know something tonight about the race!

Old 07-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

AngryBajaBoy, I didn't do anything to my intake tube but just put it back on instead of the carb mount k&n filter. I have both. I left the the two holes in the stock airbox open that the goofy snorkel tubes were in. I may plug them up like Hightower's setup. Just have to see how it runs compared to the direct mount k&n filter.

Quick Reply: carb mount filter back to airbox?