CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Desert racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh guys

Has anybody here done any desert racing? I need to know what kind of weak points the ds has? I've been looking into racing and one thing on there inspection list is tie rod ends are they just checking for good tie rod ends or are they talking about those ties straps that are used to keep the whole outer wheel spindle from fly off and hitting someone/thing?

p.s. If there is someone that has done alot of racing maybe we can email each other.

northjeepster

Old 07-14-2002, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

There are a lot of guys that run DS's, but the only one here is Jeff.

I've been wanting to do it since I bought mine but I know too many people that race Desert and besides the entry fees ALL quads recieve major damage during the course of a race. I can't afford it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

northjeepster,
I have only run one race and I learned alot...
It was a blast..would do it again in a heart beat!!

You can see the build up, and damage under Baja in my signature

Good luck
Jeff

Old 07-14-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Some damage is ok as long as it's not totaled like off a cliff. Were you running steel braided lines on those brakes?? How long was your race? what kind of terrain were you running? What safety equipment did they require? and what was the entry fee ive seen 75 all the way up to 150 on some. What i would like to do is start in shorter races and after i have a couple of years experince then try a larger race. Mit not like it but Im very competative and aggressive!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

northjeepster

Old 07-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Feel free to E-mail any ? you have or just post them here.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

northjeepster,
Were you running steel braided lines on those brakes??
Yes in the front only
How long was your race?
264 miles,we had 3 riders..we took 1st in our class and 5th in expert
what kind of terrain were you running?
you name it...there is a little of everything(except for trees)...lots of high speed areas
What safety equipment did they require?
Varies with promoters,but pretty much the standard stuff
Best in the desert has a rule book that is availible online that will out line what you need

Jeff

Old 07-15-2002, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Heh thanks jeff

one little question what are they inspecting when they say tie rod ends. I know what they are and how to see if there good or not but what are they looking for??

thanks I'll check out there web site.

northjeepster

Old 07-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Score only checks for a tail light, Tie rod cotter pins or wire tied and wheel studs must be long enough to stick out of the lug nut. They also want first aid and survival pack. I have first aid, matches and a power bar in my camel pack along with 100oz of water. Helmet must be Snell. (Most high doller carbon fiber helmets are not) The entry fee for Pro is $950 plus $65 if you are not a member, every rider must be a member. Total for the race, (Hotel fees, food, fuel, Quad parts for prep, Etc) was over $2000. This does not include all the damage to the Quad. 4 pure sport bandits damaged, 4 race wheels damaged, Front plastic gone, Tag bars bent, Axle bent, front and rear shocks need to be rebuilt, Skid plate torn off and gone, GPR steering dampner needs rebuild, Etc.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

DSRide,
Were you happy with bandits?
I ordered 2 full sets of Bandits for our 1st race,then found out days later that only 2 fronts were sent...and the rest back ordered.
So in a panic I 2nd day ordered the holeshot xct's to get by,because no one had the bandits in stock......at least close enough to get them to me before race day.
I was actually very surprised with the holeshots they held up well,not one flat....I still use them....and still have an extra set new ready for the next race!
I did take the front Bandits out for a test run in Yearington,NV I put about 75 miles on them,they got pretty chewed up...the center knobbys were pretty chunked out....
I think I will run the Holeshots from now on

I am hoping that I can run the Vegas 200 in Dec...........

Jeff

Old 07-16-2002, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

I have been very happy with the bandits! I have almost 350 race miles on mine and they are still in great condition. Will race with them again in 2 weeks. What pressure were you running in yours? We run 13psi front and rear. Sidewall says 7psi max but they will puncture with low pressure. I am sure holeshot XCT are good tires to, for me the price is right for the Bandits! Let me know if you race the BajaMex. It would be great to pit together.

Quick Reply: Desert racing