CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear Axle play

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a new rear brake rotor on last night and I noticed something after I put it together.

The rear axle has some play (left to right)

Is this normal? Everything went back on without a problem. I even tried to tap the rotor in closer without any luck.

Does the rear axle normally have some play in it?

any help would be appreciated as I plan to go rip it up on Friday.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

How much play?
I don't think you want any side to side play.
You should loosen the carrier bolts and tighten the axel nut using a strap.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Thanks!

I will give it a shot. The whole thing is confusing??? I can not understand what would make it lose.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard stories around my area of three 2000-2001 DS's having Carrier bearing problems resulting in side to side play. They fixed this by changing the bearings, while the axle was out the drill for a grease fitting in the carrier housing. The bearings are supposed to be sealed, but water will get into the housing between the bearings and sit there causing premature failure, Adding grease between the bearing is not nessecarily for the bearings but more to take the place of potential water that could get trapped between the bearings. Check your bearings and replace if nessecary. This Grease fitting fix is also being done at my local dealer for 75.00, but they don't remove the axle when they drill the hole. Hope this helps!

Old 07-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

I called Bombardier and they said there should not be any play. The Tech would not give advice ,but only take it to the dealer.

I called on local dealers and he said that they have never worked on the rear axles of the DS.

The other said to make sure the 2 bolts that clamp down on the rear axle housing are tight. I think that It might be my bearings. Because everything else fit as it should.

I am going to try to losen the rear axle housing bolts and see if that lets the axle set. Then I will tighten them.

And of course ... check my bearing while I'm in there.

thanks for your help.

DZ

Old 07-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the number for my local dealer 1-613-443-3260 ask for Etienne. He has had a couple as DS' in there for the same axle play/bearing problem. You should call back bombardier and tell that guy he is full as ****. When I was shopping for my bike I called Bombardier a couple of time and they had told me that they were aware of the bearing issue and had addressed it in the 2002 year model with different bearings.. I took the precaution and installed a grease fitting. better to be safe then sorry. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Old 07-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If there is play then either the axle nut is loose or the bearings have excessive wear. Loosen the bolt that goes through the axle nut, tighten the axle nut with a strap wrench to remove play. If, after you remove the play by tightening the axle nut, everything spins nice and smooth, you're good to go. Check for play after every ride, while you still have the rear end blocked up to do perform your routine chain maintenance.

Very few bikes come from the factory with a grease fitting in the bearing carrier. The reason is that once the housing is full of grease, there is no place for future pumps to go except forced out through the seals on each end. Repeatedly forcing excess grease out through the seals will eventually allow water to come through the other way. The best thing to do is remove and repack the bearings annually if you ride a lot of water. Honda has been making bearing carriers exactly the same way for decades, and they've always been considered the prefered method.

Old 07-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

Hightower:

What do you mean: "Very few bikes come from the factory with a grease fitting in the bearing carrier. The reason is that once the housing is full of grease, there is no place for future pumps to go except forced out through the seals on each end". I don't understand the future pumps part. Probably a typo?

Old 07-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Shadow you going to Rocky Ridge this weekend? There will be a lot of DS's there and Im sure someone there can help.

Old 07-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2000 DS and my axel bearings failed in the first year of ownership.
I don't ride in water but I remember the first time I checked the axel's side to side play, it was loose. I believe there was a factory notice that came out about checking the tightness of the nut around the same time. I tightened the nut and figured it was fine.
During a trail ride a month later I heard a clunking sound and thought my swing-arm guard had come loose.
Pulled over to check and didn't see anything loose so jumped back on to catch up with the group and NO-GO. The axel was so loose it would not even roll forward under load. Had to tow it back to camp with it's *** up on a Polaris rack!
My dealer replaced all the damaged parts (bearing and axel) under warranty and I haven't had a problem since. I believe it was due to a combination of water in the bearing carrier (from washing with a power washer) and that loose axle nut.
I check that axle nut before every ride now and don't hit the bearing carrier with a power washer.
Total cost (parts & labor was over $1200.00
Sure glad I bought the warrenty.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle play