CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I just got back from a week long trip to coral pink dunes. Let me first say it was a lot of fun, does not compare to the big dunes of st. anthony or little sahara, but a great family vacation.

Now the problem. The last day of our trip, the baja decided to act up. When cold the clutch would work as normal, but after riding for a bit, the clutch would just all of a sudden stick about half way, felt like it was slipping real bad. At first, I thought maybe the cable had sand in it and was sticking or something.

But after coming back to camp and having the clutch stick when pulling in I found that the cable would move freely, but the arm on the side case (clutch cover) was about half way between engaged and not.

After it cooled down, I checked everything I could without removing the side cover and it looked fine and while sitting seemed to work fine.

I took it out again and it was working great, so I thought when all of a sudden it stuck mid way again. I popped the clutch a few times and it finally let go and worked fine again. I did this routine a few times, but it would always do it at least once when out riding.

But each time after I got it to move again it would be like normal. I am wondering if maybe I have some crud in the oil that is getting in there when the oil get warm and then comes out and that could be why it works sometimes and not others.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but if anyone has an idea of what it could be please let me know.

Thanks
Bat

Old 07-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, one more note, my haulers are about ready to bite the dust.

I have really liked the performance of the hauler. I have the 20x10x10 8 paddles.

I am thinking about either getting the extremes, or going with the padla brats, but not sure on what type of cut.

Any help on that also.

Bat

Old 07-27-2002, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the actuating arm was noticed to be stuck halfway like you said, then something is causing it to be bound and not moving freely. I would guess that removing the clutch cover and giving everything a good looking over will reveal something (if you're absolutely sure its not the cable). The actuating arm rotates a pinion, which moves a plastic rack in and out to activate the clutch - there may be a tooth damaged or missing, causing a bind. This is the only thing coming to mind right now, just a possibility being thrown out.

While you are in there it would be a good time to install heavier clutch springs if you haven't already.

Old 07-27-2002, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Bat I have no comments on the clutch issue, but If I were you I would go with the 9-paddle Extremes. They are ten times stronger thatn the original Haulers. I would go with the 22"x11x10 also.

Old 07-27-2002, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Hey there Bat, looks like you are having some probs. Bummer man!! I was just curious, are you still running the Honda oil? Did you ever experience the opposite effect prior to this and have it pop out of gear or find false neutral? On the tires I really like both of the tires you mentioned but 22" would be cool but I would recommend lower gearing for that for sure, both front and rear sprockets.

Angry, Hows everything going?

Old 07-27-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

I am running the honda oil and I have the pami springs in there. I have had the springs in and running the hp4 oil since about march with no probs.

I was thinking something like hightower said, but wouldn't you think if a tooth was messed up or missing that it would be doing that all the time????

It is just weird that it would only happen sporadically (sp?).

Any other thoughts and thanks so far.

Bat

Old 07-27-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Demon, it has never jumped out of gear and I have never had a false neutral, or at least I dont think so.

I have missed shifts to second, but that is just my own fault.

I am going to dig into her this afternoon and see what I can find.

Bat

Old 07-27-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Bat,

You might want to check the clutch basket for grooves on the ears. if they are worn it will cause the plates to hang up. You want to make sure the edges where the tabs go are straight and don't have deep wear marks on them.

Smitty