CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My Oil Light will not go out. I think I have an oil pump failure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Oil light went on one day last week while riding, and when it went on, I smelled the clutch burning. I had a friend on a Polaris tow me back to my house (boy was that embarassing). I changed the oil, and turned over the engine to make sure that oil was comming through to the filter, and it was, so it doesn't need to be bleed. I pulled the oil line off, and turned over the engine to see if oil would come out, and I got nothing comming out. I do not abuse this machine, nothing has ever broken on it. The Bombardier dealer said that they are a week behind, and it would take a long time to fix. Shouldn't this be covered under warranty? It is only about 3 months old. The summer is going away fast, and I WANT TO RIDE!

Old 07-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

Try replacing the oil pressure switch. Mine failed twice before.

Old 07-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

which line did you pull off and got nothing? - I doubt that the oil pump itself has failed, it is possible but is of a very simple design and is pretty much bullet proof. A scratch on the shaft or suface that the impellers spin on could cause a loss of some pressure but not a total lack of flow. How much flow did you see coming in the chamber where the oil filter seats? was it sustained? ( for at least a few seconds)
Tell us which line you pulled off and got nothing and we may be able to help you trouble shoot this problem by yourself.

Old 07-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

I pulled off the biggest line that goes from the Oil reservoir to the crankcase. I tried to bleed the system, but that screw does not want to come out! How do I get it out. I stripped thge damn thing, so it will be hard to get out. I might have to drill into it, and buy another bleeder screw.

Old 07-28-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Forget about the stripped bleeder screw for a minute-
So you got nothing from the reservoir? Can you look into the reservoir and see oil? There is a filter at the bottom of the reservoir , maybe it is plugged and restricting flow down the line to the case. Maybe all your oil is sitting at the bottom of the engine and there is a problem with the return pump or line? Have you drained your oil from the bottom of the engine to see if there is any debris or contaminates
in it? You have to get oil into the engine for it to pump it thru the engine passages and back to th reservoir, so figure out why you don't have any flow from the reservoir.

Okay - to get the bleeder screw out ( which I would think shouldn't be necessary on the newer models like you have)

Get the biggest flat blade screw driver you can find ( at least 12&quot
tap the screw drive with a hammer a couple of times while the tip is in the screw slot, Then take a crescent wrench on the shaft of the screw driver( assuming the shaft is four sided) and turn it counterclockwise until it comes completely out. Try turning the engine over with the starter button but leave the run (red ) button in the off position. Once you have figured out why you have no flow to the engine from the reservoir and still have red dash light we can try a few other things.

Old 07-29-2002, 01:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lots of people have stripped their bleed screws, and every time it is because the wrong size screwdriver was used. Its a very big slot, and any screwdriver has to fit the slot to work, just like a wrench has to fit the nut to work.
When majorecho syas get the biggest driver you can find - he means go buy one that's big enough, not just grab the biggest you got on hand.

For the most part, the breather line added to the oil supply line on '01 and later models has practically elliminated the need to bleed, its self bleeding. This line I speak of is the little line coming off the fitting where the oil supply line connects to the crankcase. '00 models did not have this, and if those quads are rolled and air gets into the supply line, the pump loses its prime and the ride back to the truck can toast a motor.

You're right Adam, warranty should cover whatever it is.