CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

1/8 mile drag results

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced at Norwalk last night. The results were less than stellar, but I did learn a lot. First rant, I hate the conservative rev limiter!!!! On my first pass I smacked the rev limiter so hard between gears I found myself short shifting and losing valuable E.T.the rest of the night. To make matters worse I don't have a tach and have no idea what rpm I was shifting at. After having made at least 1000 passes in 3 years in my Mustang you'd think I would've known better. I must've ate too many retard sandwich's lately. Any way the best I could muster up was a 9.5 in the 1/8 @ 68 mph. and a 15.8 at 72 in the 1/4. I really expected better, much better. A CDI is going on this week and maybe I'll get another chance to go to a track.

Launching was tougher than I thought it would be. I had to sit on the gas tank and the front end was still in the air all the way thru 1'st and part of 2nd. My best 60ft was a 2.02. and I was still running lean. I went with a slightly larger than a 200 main jet and the plug was a bit white. This shows that I am making good power but it sure didn't show up in E.T. or mph.

Old 08-04-2002, 11:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the next time you come down tell me because by then my Z will be broke in

Old 08-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a couple of my time slips...

The Cannondale was bone stock with the factory round silencer, the 400 is modified. Made about 3 passes with each one and was having to leave the line conservatively because the front ends aiming skyward. I weigh about 195 right now...

The 1/4 mile speed seems a bit high - everything else looks in line though... Not sure what's up with that.

Old 08-05-2002, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

First off. On your time slips you have written down 400ex and mod Raptor. Ex wins. If the EX is modded out quite a bit I could believe this.
The other slip shows a YZ 250 and a Cannondale. Cdale winning. The YZ would spank a Cdale, Raptor, DS, EX in 300' (330'). The reaction times are very slow for the YZ.

I find the Cdale one very hard to believe in the 330' part. Whats up with the end result where the YZ ET was 15.19 and the Dale was 15.41 and the Dale being declared the winner?

Is this dirt, Sand or pavement?

Old 08-05-2002, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

First off. On your time slips you have written down 400ex and mod Raptor. Ex wins. If the EX is modded out quite a bit I could believe this.

It is.. Believe it. I have much better things to do than forge time slips in attempt to impress people I don't know on the internet. I wrote that down on the time slip so I wouldn't forget who I ran that night.

If I were trying to BS everyone, I certainly wouldn't have mentioned my feelings on the track's 1/4 mile speed reading. With the time sheets I've compared with others, all else seems to be in-line, just the top speed is about 8mph, or so, off.

This guy on the Raptor fed me a line (before we raced) about being bored to 720, cammed, piped, airbox mods, etc... The result is what you see - that was his best run against me. I've seen stock piped Raptors with airbox mods and jetting run better than he did that night.

The other slip shows a YZ 250 and a Cannondale. Cdale winning. The YZ would spank a Cdale, Raptor, DS, EX in 300' (330'). The reaction times are very slow for the YZ.

What does the R/T have to do with what the guy was riding? In reality, that R/T was not "very slow" - it seems average for the street racer crowd, only 3 tenths away from a red light.

Again, what you see is what happened. This was a slightly older YZ (early to mid 90's), who knows what kind of rider he was, or what kind of shape the engine was in. He would have beaten me in the 1/4, but he lifted before we crossed the line.

I find the Cdale one very hard to believe in the 330' part.

Why is that? It's in tune with what the EX ran in the 330 and I'm sure it's in tune with what Rockey ran on his DS.

The YZ was obviously tall geared with how he was pulling me on the big end.

Whats up with the end result where the YZ ET was 15.19 and the Dale was 15.41 and the Dale being declared the winner?

That's where the R/T is factored in. Note the part that says "finish margin".

He ran a faster ET than I did, however, I crossed the line first due to the difference between mine and his RT.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Fair enough. I wasn't accusing of you of anything. My statement

<< I find the Cdale one very hard to believe in the 330' part. >>

Was in reference to where the YZ was in comparison to the Dale. Why I say that is because my nephew has a 2001 YZ250 and it flat flys. It would be several bike lengths ahead after 330' and get there quicker. The guy must not have known how to ride.