CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Traxter or Quest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am thinking of getting a new machine and can't decide if I should get a traxter or a Quest. What are the differences?

Old 08-15-2002, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be mistaken, but I think the engine is the main difference,the Traxter is 500cc,the Quest is 650(I think). One thing I do remember from a shoot out a while back, the Quest smoked all the big bore 4 wheel drives in drag races,which surprised a lot of people,since it is a bit on the heavy side.Other than that, I don't remember a lot of differences in the two.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually they do make a 500 Quest as well. The biggest difference is
the transmission. The Quest is belt driven, but the Traxter has a 6 speed semi-manual transmission which you can shift with your foot or you have the option of having an electronic thumb shifter on the left handlebar. As well you can have the Traxter with both a semi-automatic AND automatic drive on the same bike. I own a Traxter XT 500 (yellow) with the semi-automatic thumb shifter. I just love this atv. It goes just about anywhere, with a respectable ride, great gas economy, not to mention the size of the gas tank (over 5 gallon). Don't think I've ever driven a more powerful atv. The Quest is nice too, but it's more of a trail machine than a work horse, so depends what you will be doing with it. To me the Traxter gives you the best of both worlds, but that's just my personal opinon. I'd be eager to hear from other Bombardier atv'ers. Cya

Old 08-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

the quest has softer suspension, alnong with the previously mentioned differences

Old 08-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what I meant when I said it was more of a trail bike

Old 08-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

The traxtor is a pure work bike. If your gonna do any trail riding go with the quest, Much smoother, stronger, better ride and more sporty.

The Traxter is a 500cc low hp high torque engine with a 5 speed semi auto tranny. It accels like a desil dumptruck. Its awsome for working and has got to be the toughest built quad in the industry.

The quest is just as good but the engine is a SOHC engine that loves to rev and be driven. You will like the quest more.

Both are great bikes.

Old 08-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

exactly. the quest is funner on the trails. not saying the traxter isn't, i ride with an "XT" and it works awesome. they pack the whole kitchen sink in the front storage box!! lol

Old 08-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

As every one has already said depends on what your planing on doing. EXample: we have a quest and we do some work and a lot of trail we use it for hunting and so on! our neighbour is trying out a traxter he mostly does yard work likes the easy on easy off thing and will use for hunting and trail riding! With the Traxter you have the option of shifting wich is on the handlebar or you can flick it on auto and dont need to shift. Do you want a big 650 or a 500? they do make a 500 quest if that would intest you!

Old 08-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I guess I would be using hte bike in the trails more often than just working. I will be working with the bike though. I will be hauling some wood and hopefully the odd moose. I don't know much about the automatics but when the traxter is in auto does it work well? Have you guys heard of problems with any of these machines? My dealer told me the 650 Quest is only about four hundred more than a 500. Should I go with the 650? I am also concerned with gas mileage. My buddy has a 660 Grizzly and has had some problems. The belt on his bike slips alot more than other machines I have seen. Also gas mileage is poor. Do these bikes have slippage problems? Also with the radiator in the rear do the bikes run hot without any air flow through them? Sorry for so many questions but just trying to find honest information on these bikes. I don't know anybody who owns one. I realize that all bikes have there quirks and am wondering what quirks these bikes have had. Thank you in helping me decide.

Old 08-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

the rad in the rear makes for a cooler ride, simply because it sucks the air out the back of the quad. the 650 quest WILL SMOKE any stock quad out there. litteraly, just ask TEXMUD, he was at the mud quad shoot-out that highlifter put in the mag. the rest of the quads had jetkits,filters, and a big gun exhaust and the quest smoked them all. and YES the kawi 650 was there. Rotax is awesome!!

Quick Reply: Traxter or Quest?