CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What dunes do you recommend for 1st timer going WEST??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JMO. March-May or even June for LS Utah or Sept-Nov. Just about anytime for St Anthonys march - October. We were at LS June 28 - the morning of July 1st. It was right around 100 degrees for highs. We were at St Anthonys the afternoon of July 1st - 3rd and it was in the 70's. We then returned to St Anthonys July 10th - 12th and it was in the upper 90's to around 100 degrees for highs then. Idaho temps are hit and miss with the highs. Heck, it could even snow on you I'd bet in August if mother nature wanted it to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know it does and has 100 miles north of there at Yellowstone. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2002, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Damn i wish i could go west!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 12:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

100 degrees for a high is nothing we aren't used to, and the lack of humidity makes it much more pleasant than our typical 90's weather here in the summer, so June sounds good to me, and then the nights won't be as chilly in the tents, especially at St. Anthony's.

What about rain? I ask because up in Michiagn the spring rains saturate the sand and its no good to ride on until May like imadunatic was saying. I take it you guys OUT WEST don't get a monsoon like we do every year.

Hey, if Texas aint west then what is it? You'll have a hard time telling somebody from Georgia that its the SOUTH, right Bo!

Old 08-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

100 Degrees is pretty hot with all that sand reflecting it right back at you. After 90 it starts getting uncomfortable for me in the sand.

Either way, Hightower, after you make this trip you are going to start looking for a job and a place to live out west. St. A and L.S. Utah are awesome places to ride - you won't want to leave. You probably want to time your trip so it's not too hot in Utah or too cold in Idaho though.

Old 08-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

If you do come here and want to see some nice machines get here on a weekend. Pretty quiet during the weekdays. Idaho will have some nice machines, but they can't stretch their legs on Choke Cherry or Thunder Mtn if you really want to see speed.

Old 08-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm sure I'm gonna absolutely love riding out there, and I'm sure I'll return many times in the future, but I also love living in Indiana!

We'll be showing up at Utah on a Saturday if all goes well, early sunday morning at the latest I should think, so we'll see some speed no doubt!

I'm up for going earlier than June if everybody else agrees on it, but May at the earliest 'cause I've got Turkey to shoot in Kentucky late April!

Old 08-24-2002, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Turkey shootin? ahhh man can I come? Thats the Elk hunting of the East from what I hear!! Trust us all guys, you'll love the dunes here in the west. Dont be fooled by the temps as per humidity, the heat here is a dry heat but it cooks you, literaly. St. A's is pretty high up and with that, you will burn VERY fast. Trust me I used to watch all the People come to Flaming Gorge in Wyoming and after only a few hours be as red as a boiled lobster. Even seen some hospitalized because they underestimated the suns power. You didn't see the cowboy in the westerns neer death from the heat out west for no reason!! I am hoping when you come, we can hook up as well, both of those are right in my roaming range.

Old 08-24-2002, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

ohhh, and yes wshrdskn, is right, be prepared for ALL weather, I have videos of my Dad flyfishing in ID on the 4th of July in an all out blizzard, 82 degrees the day before. No Joke!!

Old 08-24-2002, 03:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of these days I'll be shooting some elk out there too - I love long range rifle shooting, but so far all I've shot with my .300 Win Mag is paper!

Thanks for all the advice and info everybody - we'll be prepared with clothes for all occasions, including rainwear and snowsuits, plenty of sunscreen, and sand stakes for the tents so they don't blow away!

i can't wait - this'll be the first trip I've ever had to rejet for altitude!

Old 08-24-2002, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

<< Thanks a million everybody, I appreciate all of your inputs.
Utah and Idaho - here we come!!
Not sure exactly when, gotta plan it with others too, but when we know we'll be askin' for a tour at Little Sahara and St. anthony's!
>>

I Think Dave(themoose) and myself are going to tag along with you guys next year if theres a date set.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Jay

Quick Reply: What dunes do you recommend for 1st timer going WEST??