CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Wattage & Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DS's stock stator puts out 290 watts. I love to ride Glamis at night and have installed a 100 watt bulb in the main headlight and the two Baja lights at 35 watts each. That's 170 watts.
I'm installing the TrailTech lights that were just released for the DS. These lights are 50 watts each.
With everything on I'll be at 270 watts plus whatever the tail light needs. That leaves me less than 20 watts to spare.

I know I'm borderline so my questions are;

1. What wattage does the motor need to continue to run?
2. How many watts will go back into the battery, if any?
3. Should I not run all the lights at the same time?
4. Will I hurt the voltage regulator?
5. Can the DS's stator be reworked to increase output if necessary?

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

In my 2002 Bombardier operator's guide, it says that the auxiliary headlight on the Baja is 2 x 55 W, H3. You might want to double check if the are 35W or 55W each. With you planned setup, you would be running one high wattage light and 4 low wattage lights. I think I would rather have a fewer number of lights but all at a higher wattage. Don't forget about HID lights, check out SupraStore.com for head light conversions. Switching to LED tail light would free up a couple of watts too. Don't forget that the stock stator does not produce 290 watts at idle.

Old 08-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

About the Baja lights.....

I have read in many places that they are 35w, but also seen a few times that they are 55w. One of mine burned out so I took it apart, and there were 35w lights in them, however I could not find any H3 bulbs with that low of wattage. So I stuck in the 55w bulbs. And so far they are working fine.....

Did any of the Baja's actually come with the 55w lights in them??

Old 08-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know the technical specifics, I wish I did, but I do know that you don't want to run a stator at max output forever, and like sandoholic mentioned it won't put out max power at idle anyway.
I would think that one of the companies out there that do stator mods would be able to boost up the DS's too. Ricky Stator comes to mind, and there are several others too, or maybe even a local shop at home - check the yellow pages.
Its either that, or elliminate two of your lights, or go HID - they put out much more light with a lot less juice - but they aint cheap. Then again maybe change to a 80W main, and 35W in all four others? that's 220W, with 70 left over for charging/running, with an LED in the tail that uses virtually nothing.

I run the 100 in the headlamp too - I love it! I want the baja light kit to add, so if you go with the trailTech lights on the bars, and maybe decide to remove the baja lights, let me know! I'd be interested in aquiring them![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

Hightower, I'll keep you in mind if I want to part with the Baja lights. Nice try!
I'll contact Bombardier and ask them for the spec's and also give Ricky Stator a call.
Installing LED in the tail and going back to stock in the main may be the final solution.
I can't handle the cost of HID right now.

Old 08-20-2002, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

This dont help much i know, just my two cents:
I ran my new setup for the first time for hours at the dunes this sat. night, two KC daylighters 100W each bulb and a PIAA 55W in the headlight, ran for long periods of time with no effet to the battery or the engine etc, and the lights did not dim and brighten with engine speed, as they would if they were really suckin all the juice.
DPGRDI

Old 08-20-2002, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

KingRaptor, what do you concider a "very reasonable price" for HID on a DS650?

Old 08-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

The stock raptor lamp housing is garbage. Have a look at the light output from them at night. You will see a wide beam with little height. Also stand off to the the side and just behind the quad and you will notice that this is where much of the light is going. I dont know about you, but I want my light in front of me where I am going, not where I have been. I also like to have some height from my lights for seeing up hills and down into valleys.

If you spend the money for HID, get a real light housing.