CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2000, 04:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have a website www.rotax.net,but it is not up yet.

Old 04-24-2000, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a 130HP turbo in the works for the DS650. My post was deleted last night for some reason...

Old 04-24-2000, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, I have the same problem, I talked to Ron Woods last week about the problem with the off idle hesitation and he said that the throttle needed to be rolled on instead of hammered.(?) He also told me that the K&N filter he sells that bolts right on the carb dyno'd out about 2 more hp's than a K&N with the snorkle and open air box. He also said that I can then turn my airbox into a cooler to keep my beer in??? I don't drink at all!!I think that maybe Mr. Woods has a pre-conceived opinion of atv riders, "beer guzzling, no helmeted, couch riders. Maybe that is why his "kits" are not even close to being dialed in. There is a big difference between dialing in on the 'dyno' and actual test riding. Since I ride only on the dunes I tried one of the carb filters and he is right, third gear power wheelies.(not bad for 45 yr.old ,250lb. old fart.) I have also just installed a "DIAL-O-JET" kit and I will let you know how it works.

Old 04-24-2000, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby,

Where did you hear about this kit? Also with such tight space restrictions on the DS I'd like to see someone fit it in there.

Green is Mean
'87 Mojave
'87 Tecate
'00 DS650 [bigger IS better]

Old 04-24-2000, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

Is the turbo kit from the same guys that had the turbo banshee in Dirtwheels? I hope so cause those guys are in Michigan near Detroit-YA HOO.

Old 04-24-2000, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Well it has happened I got a !@#$%^& ticket for no spark arrester $75 bucks. It is hard to out run the cops when the DS will barely fit in the trail in Leota and I had the only DS there and everybody was checking it out. Talked to Ron Wood today and asked about a spark arrester he basically said they want to make one but they're way too busy, maybe down the road. I NEED ONE NOW DAMN IT!

Old 04-24-2000, 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've almost given up on the kit at this point. This weekend the exhaust pipe "broke". The pipe is real loud now and there is a rattle coming from the tailpipe. The metal grill baffle came loose. Ron would NOT send me another pipe. He wanted me to send the pipe back for him to "fix". What would I do in the mean time? I also asked to swap carburetors, since mine has been giving me trouble for at least 4 weekends now - he refused. It is his loss, because several people have ridden my DS and decided NOT to buy the kit afterwards. One guy actually canceled his order that was on back order after riding my DS. I rode his stock DS650 and it pulled harder than mine with the stage one kit installed. I plan on returning the DS to stock condition except for the rev limit. What a waste of money.

Old 04-24-2000, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

3rd gear power wheelies, with what jetting, the as shipped jetting with open K&N?

Which dial-a-jet kit works on the 45mm carb? Did you have to drill holes in the main bore? Where did you get it?

Old 04-24-2000, 07:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How do you do wheelies with the bogging problem?

Old 04-24-2000, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A guy was at little sahara www.waynoka.com with the turbo/EFI banshee this weekend. The same company is making the DS650 turbo/EFI, but cheaper than the banshee version. I think the turbo banshee will be there again next weekend.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?