CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2000, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I JUST PLACED MY ORDER FOR THE STAGE ONE KIT.
DOES ANY ONE ACTUALLY HAVE THEIR KITS BOLTED ON? THEY REALLY HYPED THE KIT UP ON THE PHONE. THE PRICED SEEMED STEEP, BUT IF SOLVES THE LACK OF BOTTOM END POWER IT WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT. I'VE HAD NO SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH MINE WITH THE EXDCEPTION OF WEAK RIMS AND CHINCY TIRES. MY BUDDIES ARE ALREADY PLANNING ON STROKING THEIR 400EX'S TO KEEP UP. ONCE THE BOTTOM END PROBLEM IS SOLVED I'LL DUST THEM IN THE WOODS AND THE FIELDS! LOOK FOR THE YELLOW BOMB LEADIND THE 400EX'S AT THE COCHRANTON POKER RUN IN PA AND SAY
HELLO.

Old 03-21-2000, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

Too much $ for me right now, I'm going with a pipe (Big Gun) and opening up a little air to the ds for now. I have had no problems with mine so far though it only has 6 hrs. so far. I was reading on the BMW F650 bikes and one guy had 30,000 miles on his beemer and still runs great, so if the engine is properly maintained it should last a long time.

Old 03-21-2000, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

I just received my STG 1 kit and though it looks impressive I havn't had a chance to install it. I will be installing it tommorrow and Thursday so I will know more then.

Old 03-22-2000, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

How much does the kit cost, and what all is included in the kit? What does it do to hp?

Old 03-22-2000, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

Reaper-the stage I kit includes TM45 Mikuni carb, twist throttle, throttle cable, grips,K&N filter, new ignition box, intake mainfold, and complete race exhaust. Dyno numbers 68% more torque at 3700rpm 32% more HP at 7700rpm it eliminates the rev limiter and gives an extra 1000rpm over stock. All yours for $1412. They just shipped mine today. I can't wait.

Old 03-23-2000, 12:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Those are rather impressive numbers. I think I'd really like to hear how those numbers light up the lives of the people riding these things. (There are like what, at least 6 or more people in here who have been posting and have already bought and/or recieved their RWR Stage 1 Kits? - Just think... This is *ONLY* STAGE ONE producing these numbers over stock!) From what I've observed thus far of performance hop-up increases, those are bigger gains than I've seen or noticed on anything I've read/experienced short of the turbo charged banshee. Speaking of Turbos, who's gonna have the first turbo charged DS650? You guys can't let a turbo charged Banshee be king of the hill, can ya? (I hear the turbo'ed banshee is insanely fast - I wonder how reliable it is though... are they rebuilding the darn thing every third run?)

Old 03-24-2000, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I installed the complete Ron Woods Stage One Kit today. It took longer than I thought it would to install. The exhaust sounds much better now in my opinion, kinda like a Harley Davidson. I didn't really have a chance to test it out yet, although I did ride around a parking lot. All I'll say for now is that the throttle resistance is at least twice what it was with the old carb. It started right up and ran fine. I might need to make some adjustments to the carb and/or airbox. Let me try it out this weekend and I'll let you know what I think of it.

Old 03-25-2000, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I was wrong. The DS is NOT running fine with the new carb. The engine hesitates when you hit the throttle. The DS is running worse than with stock components. Not as much acceleration or speed. The carb must be jetted incorrectly. Also, the choke cable seemed loose and didn't seem to do anything. Taking the air filter cover off didn't make a bit of difference. Adjusting the pilot air screw didn't help either. Before I bought the kit, I asked Ron Wood Raccing if any carburetor adjustments would be needed and they said no. Either Ron Wood Racing should send me a new carb that is setup & tested correctly or I'm going to have to spend over $100 to find a dealer that will re-jet & tune the carb for me. I think I'm going to take the carb off and put the stock carb back on for now. I also NEED to replace the throttle spring with a less stiff one. My thumb can't take the pressure of that spring! The resistance you need with a thumb throttle is less than what you need with a twist throttle. I think the spring is for a twist throttle.

Old 03-25-2000, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I took the spark plugs out and they were all fouled - black and wet. And guess what, I don't have any replacement spark plugs! My weekend of riding is shot.

Old 03-26-2000, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS is running way, way, way, way too rich. I tried lowering the jet needle one position, but it didn't help - plugs were all black again. The standard 96 needle for the Mikuni HSR45/TM45 is installed. I may need to change to a leaner needle, like a 97 or 98. One thing I noticed was that the accelerator pump rod is missing! I am assuming that Ron Wood intentionally removed it, but who knows! From what I can see, it is going to take hours of tweaking to get this thing running right. I have no spark plugs so I had to use sand paper to remove some of the black soot. I don't understand how Ron Woods DS650 is getting the correct air/fuel ratio with the carb setup the way mine is? That carb is drowning the spark plugs with gas.

I tightened up the slack in the choke cable, so it seems better now.

I have a Sudco Mikuni Tuning Manual. The carb we are using is the HSR45/TM45 in the manual. It is for Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?