CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Honest opinion of DS650 RALLY

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I need opinions from actual owners here. I have a 2002 400ex and I like it allot but the 2003 DS650 Rally is like my holly grail and I need to know if its even worth it to step up to the plate. I LOVE the way the rally looks with all of the extras over the plain DS. I know its wheel base is a little larger than the 400ex and it also has 125lbs on the 400. I do allot of trail riding (not very tight) Some mud, little water and very few 4 foot high by 15 foot long jumps. I know some people have complained about its size, but I need more opinions. I'm about 6 2" 190lbs and can handle the 400 like a champ. I know its mainly a dune bike but I can't stop thinking about the damn thing. Thank you for any help

Old 08-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

Oops I meant the BAJA LOL!

Old 08-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

The Baja is an excellent choice.

The first sport bike i bought was a banshee and followed with a raptor. I bought the raptor becasue of every magazine and rider saying the baja was junk in trees and trails. I rode the Raptor but found myself staying on the banshee. I broke down and bought a 2003Baja just a month and a half ago.

All of the claims are false period. The Baja is great in woods, its very predictable and the safest of the three thanks to the suspention and predictible engine plus long sway bar. It also has great power it beat the raptor and banshee in a drag and is the fastest bike i ever been on GPS had it at 77.9mph on flat ground, probably will hit 78 but thats right up there on the limiter.

It handles very well. Does not tip just slides, its width really helps. I had a z400 owner drive one and wish he bought one after.

And the seat and suspention are the most comfy ride you will ever have in your life on a ATV.

And one last thing is the driving lights, with all three on its like daytime infront of you, very awsome.

This bike is a 10 out of 10. Im selling my raptor and will not buy anything other then bombardier after this.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Range Rover

I ride trails all the time in MA and I assume they would be like what you have up in Pelham, NH. I love my DS. Yeah it's wider and longer and heavier. But it's stable, powerful and much more comfortable for bigger guys. Creek crossings, some mud and jumps are no problem. I ride with 400ex's and raptors and have yet to come across a trail that was wide enough for them, but not for me. Step up the Baja, you won't be dissapointed.

And as if it doesn't have enough power already, if you stick around the Bombardier forum long enough, you'll be looking into a rev box, pipe, jetting, high comp piston, cams and eventually a big bore kit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You'll also find a good group of dedicated guys that are more than willing to help you get set up right.

Old 08-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

Good info guys keep it comming. what did you all pay for your Baja? The dealer near me quoted me $7399 out the door today. thats $200 more than MSRP!!! And I'd get 2 squirts of **** for my 400.

Old 08-27-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

The baja, in my opinion, has to be the best all around quad made today. I mostly ride mine in the dunes, but also do some desert riding.

I love it. It has the best suspension on a stock quad on the market and performs as good or better than most. I bought a banshee because, well I wanted that two stroke hit. And it is a very fun ride, but the ds is by far the best all around.

I paid $6900 for mine, that did not include sales tax, but everything else. That was about the week after they hit showrooms back in november.

Bat

Old 08-27-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

All I do is trail riding. Before I got my DS i was a little iffy because I heard it wasn't that great in the trails. But when I got that in the trails I knew everyone was false. It handles great for such a large quad and with a good rider can beat anyone in the trails.

Old 08-27-2002, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

No tax in NH. But I'm not plunking down $7399 for a quad just yet. I just paid $5400 for my 400 and due to all these new 400-500 quads my 400 aint worth crap. I don't want to loose $2k on a 2002 alreay. Cripes My 99 Recon is still worth 1500 or so, a little under 2k depreciation in 3 years. but 2k in 3 months. If I can get the dealer down enough on the DS and up enough on the 400 then I'd do it in a heart beat. I just wish I knew more about the BAJA before I signed on the 400. Do you guys trailer or truck the DS. Its a tight fit getting the 400 into a back of a Ranger, I've crunched my wheel wells pretty good, buts its just my hauler truck. The BAJA will come, mayebe The little woman will get me one for xmas!!

Old 08-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

I normally trailer mine, but it does fit into the bed of my pick-up, a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. It's a tight fit, the front tires have to on top of the wheel wells and the tailgate is down, but it fits if it has to....

Old 08-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

The Baja is a great machine. I ride mine 90% of the time on trails and it works great. It is a very comfortable ride and is extremely stable. If you can try to get the 4 year extended warranty, it only cost me $400 and in my opinion is worth it for 4 years of worry free riding. If I remember correctly I paid $8000 out the door with the warranty.

Quick Reply: Honest opinion of DS650 RALLY