CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 vs Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just raced this week! My brother on his DS and me on my Raptor! 4 runs till 5th gear, dirt road pretty good traction! 3-1 Him and the one that I won he spun them too much coming out of the hole and fell too far back to catch me. Every race except the one where he spun out of the hole went the same way, I took the hole shot and by third gear he would creep up and go right by me ending up about 3 quad lengths ahead! Mind you this pissed me off! I went back home that night ripped off all my lower GYTR skidplates (Northeast trails have so many fricken rocks) and my nerf bars,the total had to be almost 30 lbs of metal!, he has neither the skidplates or nerfbars on his. I punched a few more holes in my airbox because mine was running just a little fat. We raced again yesterday! What a difference that extra weight made. He jumped out of the hole on me, I quickly went by and when I hit second gear I jumped 3 quad lengths on him and held it there till almost the top of 4th gear he never gained a bit. The place was a little shorter so we never got into 5th it was the same type dirt road good traction! We raced 4 times same results every time. He asked if I installed NOS it went by so fast in second....lol! We both have almost stock quads with just a slip-on, K&N Filter, and both of us have 22" holeshots, I rejetted my carbs and put holes in my airbox he has not, I weigh 185 he weighs 160. Take from this what you will this is what happened with us, both are great rides. We never completely topped out but I would guess they are very close stock for stock! He is now dieing to re-jet his and drill out his airbox for round 3 I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 08-31-2002, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

id have to go with a ds... i hear all this talk about low end on a raptor but who uses low end in a drag race? you leave at 10,000 rpm and stay high all the way... i just saw dsmike knock off some good runs tonite like 7.50 in the 1/8th... he had to race yamaha r1's and 900r ninja's to get a race.... all raptors would pull to the side of the track and wait for someone else to run....

Old 08-31-2002, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

If both quads are close in speed then the only fair way to choose the best one is compare the durability and comfort,thats simple enough.I think a ds offers much more for the $$$$$$$$.

ps.ds's are faster.

Old 08-31-2002, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

<< id have to go with a ds... i hear all this talk about low end on a raptor but who uses low end in a drag race? you leave at 10,000 rpm and stay high all the way... i just saw dsmike knock off some good runs tonite like 7.50 in the 1/8th... he had to race yamaha r1's and 900r ninja's to get a race.... all raptors would pull to the side of the track and wait for someone else to run.... >>

Hope to see this machine at 4-stroke wars.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

P.S. Note to self: Don't p1ss Dave off!(TheZombie is starting to rub off on him)LMFAO!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorRider660R,
I completely agree with your results and get the same results.
My brother (Washrdskin) and I race all the time. He wins some, I win some. If anyone has the money to afford any quad. Be Happy.
If you have the funds for a Raptor or a DS Be very, very happy. Either purchace will not disapoint you.

Old 09-01-2002, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

<< id have to go with a ds... i hear all this talk about low end on a raptor but who uses low end in a drag race? you leave at 10,000 rpm and stay high all the way... i just saw dsmike knock off some good runs tonite like 7.50 in the 1/8th... he had to race yamaha r1's and 900r ninja's to get a race.... all raptors would pull to the side of the track and wait for someone else to run.... >>

OOPPSS!!