CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who the best Engine Builder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I told you,I would have to kill you!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sam Coe!

Old 09-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

BLACKDS,
When I send you those bolts you wanted.....don't think nothing of the stress notches I put in them...that will help you go faster[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

4 stroke wars will settle who the fastest DS is, until then, let the sparks fly, lol. It looks like i will be able to make it now, i know i wont be one of the competitors but it will still be awesome to watch. Sean

Old 09-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of which where is my stuff,stress notches won't hurt either go ahead and send them!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Black, I'm sure Jeff is opening his wallet to make sure you don't beat him, you should of never said anything! This go fast stuff never ends!

Old 09-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Kodiak01:

Sand45 showed us that you can do what you want yourself or with the help of a local builder if you only want to do what you are talking about.

Piston: Pami (Knutz), Ron Wood or just about anyone else offers a high compression piston, I am hearing something in the 11:1 range will allow us to still run pump gas.
Cams: Again, Pami, Ron Wood, or WebCams offer good options here. WebCams are not re-grinds so you don't have to send in yours (less down-time.)
Carb: I think that was a Mikuni 45mm everyone with this set-up was having so much luck with. The Lectron is also an option.
Porting: This is probably the most difficult item. Everything else can be sent to you so you won't have any down time or have to worry about someone not getting back to you. I think Knutz is a good option but, I am sure there are others that other forum members have had good luck with.
Valve Springs (you will need new ones.) I haven't done the work and have not heard enough to offer suggestions here.
New Clutch Springs: you will need these once you do the above mods. Ron Wood and Pami have these.

Since most of what you are looking to do doesn't require an Engine Builder, I wouldn't worry about who as a person you go with so much as I would want to select the best parts for my engine at the most reasonable price.

Also, make sure you get cams, etc. that are suited for your riding style. You probably want more low-end torque than I do since you are doing woods and MX style riding where I am doing Dune Hill Climbing.

Old 09-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Kodiak im in the same situation as you. Not knowing who to send my motor off to. I have ruled Knutz out because of to many negative things about how long it has taken him to get some motors back. I fiqure sam coe and Woods racing are my best options. First fiqure out how much your willing to spend and how big and fast you want to go, that should help you elimanate some. Im not wanting to go super huge bore and i don't mind running race fuel since i can get it easily. Im looking to spend about 4k on building a raptor killer. My competiton is my cousin with a curtis sparks 690 kit so i have to go bigger bore. Don't want to run nos so i have to get the power through the bottom end. I don't like using small companies with no reputation so that ruled out a few. Let me know what you decide.

Old 09-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I for one will order a pami when knutz is back up and running.because i met him and found out he's not a crook he's just going threw.buiness 101 the hard way which should make him a better buiness man when alls said and done.but in the mean time coustom atv is about the most into ds's ive seen there learning more every day.that is how i choose a builder how much will they commit to me and my bike. Are they installing store bought parts or are the doing there own home work.we have a coustom crank ariving any day now built by the best crank builder in the country.and if this all works out he could easily put together a awsome kit at a reasonable price and you should be able to run with the big boy's.after all he built my bike and it runs on nitrometanol and is a completly duneable bike.And i can at least beat stock 400ex's LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with AZsand. I met Don(Knutz) at DSdays and he was a really streight up guy. Helped me out with the quad and others as well. Dont forget he had 5 of his customers there and I think it was good for him to show up and talk with them. After meeting him and spending time with him, when he is ready to take on more, I would have no problem with doing business with him. Everyone goes through tough times as I have been myself for awhile now. If it wasnt for being able to get away here and there, and ride, I dont know if I would still be here. From what i have seen if you want a fast naturally asperated DS he is definatly good at doing that.

Quick Reply: Who the best Engine Builder?