CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lil Sahara--Who wrecked??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSmike will be healed up and be straddled acrossed his own DS before
long.He's a excellent racer and a super nice guy.Get well.

Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

DSmike,

Get better soon, Sorry to hear about your injuries.

Scooby,

I hate to see people or equipment get broken, I hope you are able to repair the damage easily and look forward to seeing this beast run.

Smitty

Old 09-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

i'll live and i hope scoobys bike lives. he don't think its that bad. i'm going to help put it back together for him. i have alot of share parts that he will probably need.

maybe he will let me try again some day. what time i was on it was worth it. now i really want a turbo. his bike made mine feel a 300ex.(hehehe)

i will be back on mine for next month if possible. if not i think biggerisbetter can handle it. tring to get him to come test it out in the 1/8 with the new mods.(if i ever get them)

Old 09-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad everyone survived!!
I hope you get healed up quick DSMike!!
I'm sure there was somthing Scooby wanted to change, this will give him the opportunity. (hey I'm just trying to find a silver lining here!}

A Kill switch saved my Raptor from going swimming when I flipped doing a tree shot at the frog pond, If you got a quad get a kill switch, Lets learn from someone elses mistake before it happens to you!!

Old 09-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thats some very good advice. I think I will look into one. Better safe than sorry, I know DSa has one and he said it was pretty easy to install so why not. I dont think they are very expensive either.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

<< runs drunk and out of control >>

And here this whole time I thaught you were talking about the DS...silly me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] (jk)

Heal quick and best of luck Mike

Old 09-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Ironicly, I'm looking for a teather right now, so if that happens to my bike, it won't hang wide open like that.

The standard one looks a bit long for the stock handlebars, so I'm looking at the one from Fast By Gast.

Old 09-18-2002, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The damage to the DS is not that bad. I already have the replacement parts from DSmike, hand delivery by his Dad! Can't ask for more than that. I could even have the DS together this weekend. Thanks biggerisbetter for the help with my crippled DS.

The steering stem is bent slightly as are the handlebars. The headlight broke at the mounts. My boost/EGT gauge mounted in the dash has cracked glass. My garmin eTrex got hammered. The thumb throttle is broken. Exhaust cam has broken decompressor. Probably &quot;minor&quot; valve/piston contact. Compression and leakdown are about the same as they were. Oil pressure is the same as it was. Tach survived! Of course a broken flag. Somethings odd about the clutch - when starting the motor in gear with the clutch pulled in the DS wants to crawl forward. The plastic survived. The turbo pipes and intercooler survived.

I saw only part of the accident. He wasn't going fast at all, I didn't even hear the motor, then I saw the quad standing straight up with no-one on it. I didn't see it go over, but heard the motor reving and cutting out repeatedly. I ran over and killed the motor while one tire dug a hole. The quad was basically flipped over but partially on it's side. DSmike was not under the quad.

I can't rule out the possibility of the throttle sticking. But it wouldn't take much to flip the quad, that's why he was on it to begin with, to see if we could race it without a wheelie bar. The only way I could keep from flipping was letting off the throttle early in each gear keeping the rpms and boost under control. We were running the 10-paddle 22&quot; taller haulers at the time. Boost around 20psi running alcohol, with twin 40mm throttle body and twin 160lb/hr injectors. Boost pressure to back pressure ratio set close to 1:1. Air/fuel ratio around 4:1.

Old 09-18-2002, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Glad to here that it is already going back together. Those things happen for no reason sometimes.

Just curious about one thing- What were your goals when you set out to build the scooby mobile?? And did you get there yet??

Old 09-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

SCooby,

Glad to here that that you RIG is coming together soon. I had the opertunity to see you lay down a few good passes of your own before the accident, and youe RIG was running DAMN GOOOD!

Guys, the quad was lifting up in 5th like ours does in 1st!(no kidding) I can see this quad winning EVERYTHING!

Scooby needs not to worry about the motor any longer, yet he will have to start putting is time into &quot;set-ups&quot; and probably more than one. Their will be NO stopping this machine once Scooby/DSmike fine a great chassis and suspension set-up to keep the front end down.

Good luck guys! and if I can help in anyway let me know. I probably can't help in the &quot;knowledge or theory&quot; part of things, but I can lift heavy things!LOL.

Quick Reply: Lil Sahara--Who wrecked??