CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I Need Help Buying A Baja

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dad really wants to get a Banshee, But I want a Baja, I need to know which one is better, so I'm getting the better deal. I already have a 2002 400EX and a 2003 Yamaha Raptor. Now, I have a hard choice between the BAJA and The Banshee. Please Help Me Choose!!!

Old 09-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

If you are looking for an all around kick a** atv, go for the baja, it is 4 stroke, very very reliable, has ***** to the wall power, and of course the foot of suspension.

Old 09-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it really depends on the usage of the machine. I recently bought a banshee and have to say it is overall the most fun machine I have to ride. I have put some money into it and it rips pretty good. The baja is a fun machine and by far the most comfortable to ride. If going on a long ride, the baja wins out for comfort. If really want to rip it up, the banshee will get my vote. And if I could only have one machine, the banshee would stay.

Bat

Old 09-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Just ride the ex!!!! Save some money

Old 09-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Im sorry but if you are going to buy a little guy (440 ex) You might as well get a z-400 I rode one on the mx track and they are tight as hell (compaired to a ex) But i still say go with the bomb, i can keep ahead of the Z on the track (and he owns the track)!!!

Old 09-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Range Rover

If you go mx'ing get a dale

Old 09-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

I own both. I can post some pics for you later so you can see how they stand up after a few rides becasue there brand new.

Performance - The banshee has that nuts powerband that just comes out of the blue and will spin the tires till morning. If you keep feeding it gears during this time there arnt many bikes that can touch it. However the baja is one of the bikes that can and will. The Baja will beat a banshee in a drag, topend and rolling start. Each of the bajas 5 gears are torque pumping and longlived with a never ending powerband. It just pulls away from the shee. Topend they are close, but the baja has between 4-6 mph more only stopped by the limiter (not power). Baja is the ultimate performance bike...

Comfort - If your a small guy the banshee probably is the bike for you, but if your over 5.9 feet or 6.6 like me the banshee is only good for that 2 stroke fix in the morning but on trips and long hauls the baja is the cadillac of ATVs. I have never seen a bike as comfy as the Baja...

Sound - The Baja sounds like a cannon everytime it fires, Its loud and mean. However any engine enthusiest will have to agree, very few things sound as cool and get your heart pumping as a banshee. Sounds like a old ferrari roadster when driving slow and when you give it only the word Banshee comes to mind. Its nuts and its only somthing a 2stroke can deliver. Banshee is quiet (probably the quietest bike iv ever seen, but somehow on the bike its loud and proud. You have to drive one to experiance the sound, Its awsome.

Quality of build - The DS is top of the line in quality but the banshee is IMO yamahas best work. There are no budjet cut backs on the shee and theres nothing to it. I wouldnt make this catagory a issue becasue both bikes are built to last. But if your a heavier rider the DS is the way to go if you plan on pounding stuff..

Ego - Which bikes get more looks, Well comming into Town on a banshee is always cool. People that see you will watch and the sound and two stroke get noticed, But the baja will pull peoples attention from anything and everything. Its the kind of bike that can cause a accidnet. THey are still pretty rare and not many bikes look like it. That suspention and color just makes it stand out. If you want to be a star, Go to your bombardier dealer.

Handling - On a Road with tight corners and good grip the baja is untouchable, Well the banshee would feel a little scary going fast in a corner, the baja allows you to crank the bars and hold on. Wider is better. But the banshee is great on access roads and tight trails as well. However the banshee seems to bottom out more then the baja. Both are pretty good. But i thing the Baja is one of the best handling bikes regardless of what the magazines print.

Drivability - The banshee is crap when crawling over obsticals, The baja feels like a work bike with the torque. The banshee also uses much more fuel, the baja is the best bike for fuel ive ever seen. The banshee is harder to drive but if you love 2 strokes nothing else can compaire.

I hope this helps, One other thing, If your gonna be driving in rought terrain the baja will go faster, The banshee will fall apart trying to follow the baja thru rought terrain becasue the suspention is just superior on the baja to any other bike.

and dont let the fact that the banshee is 2 stroke and the baja is 4 stroke get in the way of your desision. Both engines are really reliable. I just bought a new 03 banshee and 03 baja and both are perfect with no warrenty claims. However i owned a previous banshee before and it must have had close to 10000km on the original motor. Just remember 2 stroke only like to get pinned to accel not for holding them. The rule is you cruse at 3/4 and only pin it to blow somthing away but then return to 3/4.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

Good post marty!
All true

Old 09-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

So what you are saying is that i should just stick with the good all baja, it is one of the best quads out there, well that is what some are you are saying. I like the baja beasue it come with a lot of extra parts that come with it, for only a little more charge. well thanks guys, you really help me decide, on which quad to get.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought an '03 Baja after riding an Lt500 for 14 years (still have it though). I just went on a poker run. The suspension is incredible. I would see but not feel rough terrain. One thing I did notice was the heat coming off the engine. The red light did not come on but I never felt that on my 500. It was a little harder to negotiate the tight trails but did it very well. I would suggest if you got one to put a pipe and silencer for more low end. The power seems to come on later and then really take off. That seat is also so comfortable to ride. Everyone that sits on it remarks it is the best they ever felt. Electric start is also a plus after kicking for so long.

Quick Reply: I Need Help Buying A Baja