CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

torn paddles

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pair of 9 paddle skat trak haulers and the center portion of the paddles are torn. The edges of the paddles are fine. Anyone have any luck with Skat Trak standing behind their product? I am not expecting them to replace/repair for free, but atleast prorate them.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they do stand behind them. Send them back to Skat-Trak for extreme paddles, they will replace them for free and return the tires to you in about a week turn around.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

I hope you are right scooby about skat trak customer service. I will give them a call tomorow. That would be great if they would fix them for free, even better if they allow me to upgrade to the extremes.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I believe it's caused by air pressure.
What pressure are you running?
Skat Trak recomends no less than 5 psi.
You need to run at least 5 psi to keep the carcass from deforming under power & delaminating the paddles. That also keeps a crown in the tire & lets the whole paddle bite instead of just part of them.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why is it always Skat-Trak paddles that have such trouble? Very seldom if ever do you hear of other makers paddles with paddles falling off. However, I've heard about this quite often about Skat-Trak paddle tires. Do you have to treat them like they're out of a museum to keep them from falling off? (remember Cameron’s house from Ferris Beuler’s Day Off?) I have a pair of 20” Skat-Trak haulers on my 1987 Mojave, and they are perfect for a bike that small; it doesn’t have the power to harm them.

I think Skat-Trak really needs to work on their product, I almost bought some of their tires about a year ago, however I got cold feet and bought someone else’s paddles after talking to people about paddles falling off and in what situations they would and would not warranty them. Hopefully the ‘extreme’ paddles are the answer. Has anyone had paddles come off of a set of extremes yet?

Old 10-08-2002, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

<< Why is it always Skat-Trak paddles that have such trouble? >>

See the above post.
I know of 3 people that have lost paddles &amp; they were running 2~3 psi.

I have Extremes &amp; have hundreds of WOT drag race launches &amp; they are still solid all around.
I run 5psi in the dunes &amp; 7psi at the drags because I noticed they were &quot;Wrapping up&quot; on the launch at 5psi, They launch great &amp; have exelent hook in the dunes.

Old 10-08-2002, 04:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does the Kevlar reinforcement help to hold them together?

Trending Topics

Old 10-08-2002, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

THEMOOSE, I'm having the same problem with my skat-traks, they aren't delaminating, they are tearing at the base of the paddle. The padde isn't stiff enough and the rubber compound isn't tough enough. Skat trak wouldn't have come up with the extremes if they hadn't had problems the their haulers.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with marky, my regular haulers on my ds got torn up. I also think if you have to ride over any hard pack it will tear them up also.

Sandaholic, let us know what skat trak says, I have a set that I would not mind sending in to get replacements put on.

Bat

Old 10-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

<< Does the Kevlar reinforcement help to hold them together? >>

Since the kevlar makes the paddles stronger I'm sure they would hold together better.
I was told by Skat Trak that I didn't need the kevlar option unless I had to ride a long distance on pavement or rocks to get to the dunes or if the dunes I rode in had a lot of dirt, rocks, roots, or other hard stuff in it.
Since the kevlar option is like $8 a paddle they said where I ride I really didn't need it.

<< THEMOOSE, I'm having the same problem with my skat-traks, they aren't delaminating, they are tearing at the base of the paddle. The padde isn't stiff enough and the rubber compound isn't tough enough. Skat trak wouldn't have come up with the extremes if they hadn't had problems the their haulers. >>

I don't know what to tell you, I ran a set of regular Haulers on my old 250R till the paddles were almost worn out with no tearing or delamination, The guy that bought my 250R is still running the same set &amp; they need replaced because there worn out but no tearing or delaminations.

The Extremes are a much thicker &amp; tougher paddle so even though I didn't have any prob with my regular Haulers I got the Extremes because they are a much better tire. I would recomend them to any one.

Quick Reply: torn paddles