CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stripped drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped drain plug

I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Ever since I bought this quad on every oil change I noticed that my drain plug was tight all the way out when unthreading it. It finally cought up to me today. I couldn't even get to the 10 lbs before it would just spin. let alone to the 20 then 30.
I got lucky though. I went to Pep Boys and found another 18mm drain plug that was about a 1/4" longer than the stock one ( No magnut though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) and threaded it in. The threads farther up in the drain hole where still ok and I was able to torque it to 30lbs.
I sure wish I could have kept the drain with the magnut though. Does anyone know of a better fix so that i can keep the magnut. Or a place to order one with a magnut that is longer than the stocker.
Thanks

Old 01-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Find yourself one of those really strong magnets that is small enough to fit in the tip of the bolt. Autoparts stores often have them at the counter as an "impulse buy" items as part of a magnetic pick up tool. You can buy it just for the magnet.
Then drill the bolt to size and epoxy the magnet in. actually, you probably won't need the epoxy but its a good idea.

Old 01-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You need to get a tap and rethread the hole. You might need to go to the next larger size thread. That sux, you might find yourself like Chris one day riding along and the engine gives way cause the drain plug was not there anymore and all the oil was gone. You'd think they would make the bolts out of weaker metals than the case so the bolt threads would give way first.

Old 01-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Thats a great idea for the magnut. Thanks.
Yea I bout a 20mm drain plug also just in case the longer 18mm one didn't do the trick. Problem was they didn't have a 20mm tap. I'll have to go to Sears prolly to get that. I know the drain plug won't come out until i take it out. It did torque to 30lbs so it's good for now. I just want to be ready incase it happens again. Then i'll just tap it to the 20mm.

Old 01-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey you guys might want to check out the following site for information on the Rotax engine oil drain plug issues.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Sump_Plug_FAQ.htm

The site is geared more for the BMW F650 Funduro bike that uses the same Rotax 650 engine as the DS.

Just my $0.02 worth.....

Old 01-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Eaglecollector, the same thing happened to me, I posted this about three weeks ago. I talk to Bombardier directly and my bike is under warranty, they would not cover this problem. The representives name is Steve. Bom is claiming that they have never heard of this problem before. BMW has a kit. the kit no. is 11 11 2 343 436. The kit includes a steel insert, Red loctite and a new plug. it cost $100 plus. BMW 650F are using rubber plugs. $4 or $5. I am using the rubber plug and it is working so far.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

sscruz650,
Thats interesting, a rubber plug. I think i'll call Ron Woods and ask them if they have any. That way i'll have it in my tool box for next time if I need it. Although, i think that if this one strips, i'll have to tap to the next size. Or go the repair route that ds650runner posted the linked to.
Thanks for the tips guys.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I changed my oil myself for the first time tonight and stripped the plug too. My dumbass turned it the wrong way when I was first trying to take it out...(yes I know righty tighty lefty loosey, man I'm so mad at myself ) so I figured since it was stripped while completely in, the threads near the top of the bolt were the ones stripped. The aluminum washer that was on there was no good, so I took it off and put on a round rubber hydraulic washer. That stopped the bolt from going up too far and hitting the stripped threads and it torqued fine, no leaks. I'll keep an eye on it of course...got a huge trail ride planned this weekend.
Just thought I'd share my drain plug nightmare story with you guys

Old 05-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Range Rover

id be careful about putting longer bolts in there, at some point it might interfear with something.... that would be bad, just be carefull with that,

Old 05-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For future reference, you might want to apply a little anti-seize lube on the threads to make the bolt come out a little easier. I use it on drain bolts, spark plugs, lug nuts, etc...

I would be concerned with putting any foreign magnets or bolts that are too long in. The oil might work it's way around the magnet and dislocate from the bolt. Then it might make it's way into the main part of the motor.

If you decide to tap and coil it, make sure it is in alignment with the original hole. Some holes are angled in. Try not to booger it up. The next step would be to replace that part of the motor. The oil may still drip if the tap and coil isn't done correctly.

You can buy a plastic washer at an auto store that would be more pliable than the original washer. (If the drip persist.)

Be careful because the mistakes will become more costly from here on out. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Stripped drain plug