CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear shock

Heya guys im having issues with the rear shock.....seem to be tearing up chain rollers...im a big fat kid with all geared up I weigh in at 300.They are telling at the local shops that I should replace the rear spring..has anyone found a shock made for big boys yet?I have upgraded to the TM DESIGNS roller but just dont wanna tear it up...any suggestions.

Thanks for any help,
Nate in Arizona

Old 01-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default rear shock

Sounds like your chain might be to tight.

Old 01-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default rear shock

Rumn,

I have had my rear shock revalved for a plus 4 inch swing arm. The shock seems to be buch better then before. The valveing on the stock shock is like a two stage valving. After it was revalved, it is more of a progressive valve all the way down. Don't confuse it with the springs, yes the springs are a dual setup, but now the shock valves are much better.

The person that did mine is:
Ben Decker.
His Number is: (816)243-7578

I am sure he can help you out and explain it much better.

DuneDevil

Old 01-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Range Rover
Default rear shock

I was just about to post the same issue , I unwound the spring to lower the height and after 5 mins riding the aftermarket chain roller that had worked perfectly for two yrs , ripped too shreads. I am trying to figure out how to keep the ride height down and keep the chain roller from tearing up . ???

If u lower the spring height do you need to loosen the chain ??? maybe that was my problem??

I did look at it in this setup but no matter how loose the chain was it still put load on the roller when the shock was fully compressed . Is this right ???

cheers

Prokiwi

Old 01-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default rear shock

I did look at it in this setup but no matter how loose the chain was it still put load on the roller when the shock was fully compressed . Is this right ???
This is correct. If the shock is compressed, the chain will come in contact with the roller.

If you want to lower the DS and still have suspension, you will have to relocate the chain roller. That is how the DS was built. It is not to hard to have a good welder reweld the roller in a new position. Just make sure that he is good before you have him do it.

Make sure that if you move it, that it still come into contact when the suspension is fully compressed, or it will be useless if it doesn't.

DuneDevil

Old 01-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Default rear shock

Thanks for that DuneDevil , i am going to have a look at it now and see what i can do ....

many thanks

Prokiwi

Old 01-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default rear shock

I had my rear shock rebuilt by TCS they replaced my main spring with one for my weight

Old 01-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default rear shock

BillDS650,

I have also delt with TCS. I have purchased two sets of shocks through them. Also, when I set up one of the DS's for flat track raceing, I will have them do something for it. But for the price of this gentleman that I told of earlier, you can't go wrong with him on a basic setup. He is a contractor for Pro-Action.

I am with you Bill, if you want some serious shocks for the DS, go with TCS, or Elka's, or even Works. I have had the Elka's on the DS, and was very happy with them. If you are not going to blow through the whoops at 30 to 50 miles an hour, get a good reasonable rebuild. You can save some money and get some other safety equipment that might be needed (boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, kill switches, ect.) Then maybe some horsepower stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

DuneDevil

Old 01-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default rear shock

make sure you have that 7/8 inch slack in the chain when you sit on the quad.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default rear shock

You can get all the shock valving and springs you want but your chain is still to tight! I race desert with a good inch or more of play in the chain. I did the same thing when I first got the DS. After 3 races and 3 chain rollers I put some slack in the chain. Still have the same roller after a year. If your chain is to tight it will also lock out your rear shock when you hit the throttle. I know people racing with zero preload TCS that dont have a problem with the chain angle.

Quick Reply: rear shock