CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler

wow, good explainations DSdunecrazy. I got some questions for u. Right now we have a 25' toy hauler and we pull it fine(superduty diesel) and plan to go to the big triple axle weekend warrior pull trailer, fb3000 to be exact. Its about 34' long. I worry about safety but with the triple axles they seem to pull straighter? thanks, Sean

Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Just make sure you get a good 1000lbs EQ hitch and she should pull just fine. The triple axles defintately are a bit more stable. The only pain with them is getting them parked without the tires all tweaked. This happens when you force the trailer through a sharp turn. Once you have her lined up where you want her, roll it forward and back a bit to get the tires back to normal. This also happens on a double axle, but it isn't nearly as noticable.

-Tom

Old 01-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

oh yeah, I forgot, you'll probably have to replace your brake control also. Standard Electronic brake controls are only rated for 1-2 axles (2-4 brake drums). You'll need to make sure and get one of the brake controls rated to handle 1-4 axles (2-8 brake drums).

I prefer the Tekonsha Voyagers for their ease of use. The 2-4 brake model is Voyager 9030 and the 2-8 brake model is the Voyager 9035 XP. They also make a couple of other models that will suit your purpose. http://www.tekonsha.com/

-Tom

Old 01-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Jet, I have a 28' desert fox and it tows great. It is only two axles, but does great. I have an eq hitch that is rated at 1400 I think.

The overall length is about 32', that includes the tongue of course. I was worried about such a large tag trailer, but I have towed it quite aways and it has done great.

I will be towing it to fsw's next week.

Later
Bat

Old 01-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hello everyone,
I want to thank Tom , Bat, KRap. and everyone else that responded to this post. I just ordered from my local dealer (Reeds Trailers in Petaluma, CA) a Fiberglass LE-3105 fifth wheel loaded with what I wanted.
I should see it in March.
A ton of wonderful info here. You couldn't have explained things more clearly and understandably Tom. Unfortunitly I had a discision to make, sell a 02' Chevy 2500HD 4x4 that I've have about 50K into, or forget the fifth wheel and pull a conventinal travel trailer. I wasn't going to do either. I sure hope that the 2K buck SuperGlide Hitch I just hoisted out of the back of my truck, minimizes some of those risks that you explained. To anyone thats interested, I just unboxed this thing, I won't go into all the details now, ping me if you'd like any info on it but it really is a wonderful piece of gear. . I'll never be as comfortable as I would be if I was hauling with a long bed, but I'll always make it a priority to be aware.
Tavel safe all, Rich

Old 01-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

congrats on the new trailer. Mine was the best purchase I have made.

Bat

Old 01-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

I never said our trailer didnt pull ok but it was my understanding that the triple axles pull better, glad to hear that. Cant wait till we get a bigger trailer. Sean

Old 01-10-2003, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

Like I said, a short bed can definately pull these rigs. I just don't recommend it. But it's really up to you to weigh your options and come up with the best option that suites your needs. My goal was to provide you with the information that the sales person probably will not tell you.

It's really all about setting your expectations. So long as you have the information, and know what to expect, you really shouldn't be dissappointed. I have seen the expectation set way too high in this situation too many times and the customer is never truely happy. A good sales person shouldn't have any problem telling you that a shortbed won't pull a 5th wheel/gooseneck as well as a standard bed, but for some reason most of them are too afraid of loosing a sale.

Just be SAFE! that's all that really matters. Nothing is worse than getting in an accident or stranded somewhere because of damage to the trailer.

But then again, what better excuse to spend a little extra time at the dunes.

-Tom

Old 01-10-2003, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

Have any of you guys ever use one of these trailer when it's really cold out(0degrees) I want to use mine for hunting too and if it cant take the cold it will not be any good to me. I also thought about just getting a enclosed race trailer and building living quaters in the front of it.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Jeepster, I have not used mine in the cold, but a lot of people in this area do. I have a Desert fox which is made by the makers of arctic fox and nash travel trailers. I know of several in this area that use them to go hunting in.

They are insulated very well and the tanks are insulated also. They also are heated, as long as you have the furnace running.

I would think it would be a great winter camper also, but do not know personally.

Bat

Quick Reply: Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler