CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Fine tuning the DS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine tuning the DS?

I do have the jet kit. As of now I'm running a 195, Dynojet needle with clip in 3rd position air screw 3& 1/8th turns out. About the stock pilot jet.....someone said it was a 40, well I looked at mine and it is a 45. Should I still go with a 47.5?? Where would be a good place to get one? Thanx for the help.

BTW, mine has no problem hitting the rev limiter, this thing is a whole new beast w/the RW exhaust!!

Old 01-16-2003, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

I guess a good carpenter knows when to quit hitting the nail...not to beat it completely thru the 2x4 but as I feel somewhat responsible at this point let me just say this...I am obviously not a professional tuner merely an enthusiast as most others in here and that's why I also turn to this forum for many answers. I also try to use reputable shops that have tried and proven methods for getting the best performance out of our favorite machines. I would suggest that after you've exhausted all relatively simple but possible variables that could effect performance and or create a nasty cold natured attitude, such as plugs (a hotter/colder plug could help), airfilter (a dirty airfilter would effect the nature of the beast), the intake boots (all clean and snug--and one of my biggest collection of new spare parts is band clamps...brain fart...I can't think of the common name for them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]...don't forget that a lean condition is not always caused by
improper jetting.

I really don't want to come across as a smug a$$ wanna-be know it all type of guy but...I just really enjoy this scene...every extra spare breath wants to talk about or ask about or SHOUT about quads and riding...I'm obsessed at this point. You should see my front bumper...it used to be brushed aluminim...ya know kind of dull looking...I swear it looks like chrome now that I've polished it with fine steel wool and Mother's so much--my nerf bars are getting there!!! I know it's sad to see a 36 year old hit so hard with mid-life crisis!

Bottom line here--my suggestion is that if the cold naturedness gets the best of you take your quad to someone you trust and have them perform some tests. A good shop with a good dyno and tuner could detect a potentially harmful lean condition and perform the right tests to figure if its a "simple" jetting problem or if you have an intake leak somewhere. Look at it this way...you forked out some substantial bucks for a super nice quad...a couple hundred dollars for some quality shop time that could save you much in the long run is worth consideration. How far are you from TVI? Give Gary a call and let us know what he has to offer...

BTW...Interesting that you found that your 02 Baja had a 45 pilot jet...you probably don't have the indications of a too rich start up with soot on your grab bar like I did?

jim

Old 01-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well I will throw in my .02 on how to fine tune this thing. I have typed this about 100 times before but I will do it one last time LOL. The best thing to do is find your self a good semi steep hill that is atleast 100 feet high or so. Something you can run again and again. This is how I did mine and just ask Disturbed if my quad was tuned good or not LOL. Anyways. What I did was I first followed the instructions in the jet kit. AT first I was so lean I hardly had any power but the way I found out was buy covering up a lil bit of the filter at a time with tape, when the quad started running better I knew I needed to increase the size of my jet...ohhh I left the mix screw at 2 turns out. Once I got the quad running good with the right jet I then started the fine tuning. I set the mix screw at 1.5 turns out and started to run the hill. My hill was pretty steep and I would start at the bottom and take it in second gear. I would run it a few times then I would turn the screw out a quarter turn then ride again. I did this till I found the absolute sweet spot. once i found it i messed with the screw turning it one way or the other about an eigth of a turn at a time. By the time I was done I went from lugging in second up the hill to catching air off of the top in third. During the process the biggest thing I learned was to do one thing at a time. when I played with the jets then the needle position and then the screw I could never really acuratly determin how much I changed the mix. So buy taking one step at a time I was able to finally get it narrowed down For instance when I tried the needle in the #2 slot I used all jets and could not get it to run like i wished, so thats when I went to #3 and was able to get it and left it there. Later out of curiosity I noted where I had it then played with setting it in the 4th postition and was able to get it to run good but I didnt like the power curve quite as well as I did in the 3rd postion. This took alot of time and about 10 ruined carb srews but when i was done it was well worth it. I knew my quad very well and it wouldn't take me long normally to get it tuned in when I went to a new riding location. I found that the quad ran best just slightly lean. I also only used 2 sets of pluggs the entire time I had the quad. I tried other pluggs to see how they performed but ultimatly I am saying take the time and reap the awards.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

WOW!!! Demon, that puts a new meaning to "labor Intensive" LOL
reading and following the Dynajet instructions could have saved you about a day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
At least you got it right though.
BTW Are you still selling it or did you find a way to keep it?

Bajads650, You're alot closer then 02baja if you can hit the rev limiter. Regardless of what others say, you are obviously a little on the lean side at part throttle. Try the clip in the 4th position.

Jiminok,
Dude I wish I had your time. My clothes went out of style while I read your posts! LOL
FYI, the pilot jet meters fuel not air, thats why its located in the floatbowl below the fuel level. A larger size cured your lean condition which is why it starts and runs so well in the cold Mojave air. The excessive smoke (rich) could have been caused by a float hanging up or some other abnormality that you inadvertantly fixed while replacing the pilot jet.

These guys came on here so that they can fix it themselves and not have to get boned by their dealer. Have you taken anything to the dealer lately? $200 gets you in the door and if your lucky,they may do it right for $400. Most dealers don't have a mechanic qualified to do jetting, an unfortunate side effect of the poor pay scale in that profession. Jetting is an acquired knack, it takes plenty of practice to get good at it. Thats why I keep suggesting the Dynajet instructions, They really do take the guess work out of it.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

A day? BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA I wouldn't have even noticed a day, that took me about 2 solid Months!!! Trust me I read the instruction about 10 times. With their recomendations for my altitude it would barely even run. My quad was really weird though. I ended up running about 2 steps smaller jet than everyone else i knew running simular setups.

Before DSaholic had switched carbs i helped him do his and he went from, well to be nice, he was very behind me to hanging right with me. Then he switched carbs, tuned it in and smoked me.

I know it is intensive but it works and part of my plan on putting that up was to help them become more familiur with their quads and how to read what it is doing. I know that you know what your talking about as well JS, your quad was very fast but I will use an excuse.....Thats when I had lost my compression, following that trip is when I did the test and found the compression to be 140.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, I have been gone for a few days. The thread wasnt getting any responses and now its got a lot of info. Thanks for the replies so far. I am really close to BajaDS650 set up. I am also running the 195 main jet, with the needle on the 4th posistion. OK, so I see there are mixed reviews here. I do have the black smoke while at idle warming up. But at the same time when I stab the throttle it will backfire through the carb. So.......should I try a leaner pilot. Or do you think it can be fixed with the mixture screw? Also, since I cant hit the rev limiter in high gears. Do you think my loss of power is from a lean or a rich condidtion? I feel I am maybe running on the lean side in the upper throttle already. Leaner should be more power right? If thats the case, I should be getting all available power already. But, I know I am not. I have ridden other DS's that will smoke mine. Do you think, I just dont have the bolt ons to do this? If I get the 45mm carb and an different exhaust, it will make that big of a difference?

Old 01-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

02baja,
This latest bit of info is certainly more helpful. What altitude do you mostly run at?
My suggestion for checking your main jet is to ride it hard for about 15 minutes without letting it idle. Just before you shut it off give it a 15 second blast through the gears wide open, hitting the kill switch at the end. Pull your plug and if its dark or black your main is too big. If its white, its too small. Dial in your main then you can concentrate on the rest.

The dynajet kit gives you a suggested start point that may or may not be close but the instructions and examples that it gives to assist in dialing it in is the helpful part.

Demon,
I was feeling good until you said that!! (about your compression) Now I want a re-match...without the juce that is. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have checked the plugs. They are a dark tan not light tan. Maybe a little rich but not bad. Should I just change the needle position or go to a smaller jet? Also, where can I buy pilot jets at?

Old 01-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to order it from your dealer. Jiminok got his from Alba sports, maybe they have them in stock here is their website.

You may be rich, try a 185 and see if that helps

Old 01-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

OK....I think I am closer. I put all of the washers on the needle under the clip. I started it up yesterday and revved it almost immediately and no popping from the carb. Seemed to run really strong from what little riding I got to do inside my court. I think I just need to mess with the air screw now.

Quick Reply: Fine tuning the DS?