CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 400-ATV of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander 400-ATV of the Year

ATV of the Year!
2003 Bombardier Outlander 400

Staff Report
ATV News
Wednesday January 15, 2003

INNOVATION
For this one, Bombardier engineers not only went outside the box, they went outside the typical box-frame, steel-tube chassis, as well. Bombardier designed the Outlander around a totally new chassis that is essentially a rectangular steel tube formed into an oval in which the engine sits protected from below. This "Surrounding Spar Technology" (SST) chassis uses fewer parts and requires less welding. It's lighter than a traditional tube chassis. It allows easier access to components, and the frame itself acts like a big skid plate.

The Outlander’s rear suspension is our favorite feature. Individual trailing arms on each side allow the tires to be suspended with complete independence. A short torsion bar runs inside the arms’ forward axis to aid stability. This system uses fewer parts and has fewer pivot points than a dual A-arm rear suspension.

INFLUENCE
Most manufacturers want to build lighter machines, increase manufacturing efficiency, and produce innovative products that are easy to use and comfortable. While we don’t expect to see any direct copies of the SST frame (it most likely carries a few patents), we do expect other manufacturers to follow Bombardier’s lead and build utility machines differently.

The Outlander has enough new ideas for a few ATVs — some work better than others — and each will have its own degree of influence. The rear suspension, similar to technology used by off-road racing trucks, is the one we deem most influential. It’s certainly one that riders will find most beneficial.

APPEAL
The Outlander is definitely not trying to slip by unnoticed. Its looks alone give it a love-it or hate-it following. The Outlander’s appeal will grow on those who give it some time. Look closely at its unique features. Sit on the machine, and take it for a test drive if you can. While its looks may not appeal directly, the complete package is far more attractive.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I like the Outlander and if it were a 650 say a DS 650 or 700 motor in there I would buy one this minuite. The geometry is one of a kind it far surpasses Polaris and Yamaha IRS technology. Way to go Bombardier.

Old 01-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

I don't see how they could vote it a winner of something like this. My dealer doesn't even have any of them in yet! No but really, I can't wait to check one out. Sounds like a real nice quad, congratulations Bombardier.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Mudcat

I rode one here before Xmas I was very impressed the power is there only it revs up like a Polaris before it takes off. I am used to my Kawi when you push the throttle it moves right away. What I really like is it doen't dippsy doodle like the Yammy or Pol in the corners it holds like a solid rear axle. With IRS when you come through a cut bank or where a backhoe has dug across road hindering 4X4 travel. An IRS bike will want to tilt over backwards at least that is what I have found on a Pol and Yammy IRS. Not so with the Bombardier the other quads wanted to rear over backwards, come out of the cut bank on their rear wheels. The 400 came out on all 4 wheels which makes for a much more stable sure footed ride.

The only things I did not like were the reving up to go and having to stop to put it in 4X4. At least Bombardier advises you stop to engage or disengage I am not sure about the disengageing part while moving. Polaris has it where the quad revs before it moves so that is something a person would have to get used to.

When you get a chance to ride one you will be impressed now if they only had one with a bigger motor it is hard to go down it size.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:52 PM
wam
Weekend Warrior

I got to test one out this weekend. I road it all day Sat and my wife road it all day Sun. We both liked it a lot. It's light, powerful, and quick. The breaks work great, even when wet or covered with mud. It rides smooth and has a comfortable seat. It handles very well. It did great in mud and deep water. And it also looks cool, so I think. I liked it so much, I bought one yesterday for my wife. As much as I liked it, I still would rather ride my Traxter. The only thing I think it needs is offset wheels or spacers to give it a little more stability and a good set of tires. I ordered a set of ITP C wheels which will move each wheel out about 2 inches and a set of DirtDevil XT's.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ATVMagazine lists the weight at a wopping 755 pounds!! is this correct?

if so, the new Outlander400 weight is that of my Sportsman700! (at that weight, i'll take the Sportsman700.)

it can't possibly 'feel light, power, quick...' -WAM

IT'S TOO DAMN HEAVY GUYS!

let's compare:
-Artic Cat 400 4X4-- 630/644 pounds
-Honda400 4X4 ----553 pounds
-YamiKodiak400 4X4-547 pounds
-PolSportsman400---697 pounds(old model-same weight for almost 10 years!)
-KawiPrairie650/360--604 pounds
-SuzukiVinson500----604 pounds
-SuzukiEiger4X4----577/542 pounds

i like the write-up on the Outlander. it seems like a very nice ATV. HOWEVER, the weight of that 400 is a killer! i wouln not buy a new model, 400 class, that weighs 55 POUNDS MORE than the already-outdated Sportsman400.

(it's only 59 pounds less than the 2-seater monsterous Traxter Max.)

Old 01-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

WOW lighten up mtpockets weight is an error should be 575lbs.

Old 01-17-2003, 06:14 PM
wam
Weekend Warrior

That's right MT, bomb lists the dry weight at 580lbs (in the operators guide). And remember, I'm used to riding my 755lb Traxter so to me, the Outlander is very light.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

damn i'm glad the weight is only 575/580!

the Outlander is back on my shopping list!

thanks,

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

How does the visco-lok system work?

mt,
are shopping to replace your pol or as another quad? just curious if you might be wanting to get rid of it due to problems or something.

thanks,
sssr

Quick Reply: Outlander 400-ATV of the Year