CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 400 Suspension Noise (side to side clanking)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander 400 Suspension Noise (side to side clanking)

Hello All,
I just purchased two Outlander 400's yesterday and BOTH of them has developed a "clanking" noise in the rear suspension. The noise didn't start happening until after the first couple of miles. What is really disturbing here is that I rode a different one at a dealer earlier in the week and it made the SAME noise. The dealer didn't have an "explanation" and said it would be fixed if I bought "that" one. I went to another dealer and bought two new units of out the crate.

The noise is definitely noticable when you rock the ATV side to side. Is this clanking noise a "feature" of the new rear independent suspension and does anybody else have the same problem or is this a non-issue? It definitely is loud, annoying and embarrassing, especially when you have a buddy hop on it.

This issue kind of takes the wind out of the "new and coolness" of this new ATV. 3 of 3 is making the same exact noise.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

This is the first time i've heard of the noise you are speakng of. Try posting your message at www.highlifter.com Someone there may be able to help you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i am one thinking of buying this model......please keep us informed on what you find out.

"MY CAT AND QUEST EAT POLARIS' AND CRAP HONDA'S"--only in your dreams bro! LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Endoman,
I had the same thing on mine. I went to my dealer. He called tech support and they told him to put more grease on the torsion bar splines & right hand circlip. It just took 10 minutes and the noise is gone.

I hope this helps you!

------------------------
2003 Bombardier Outlander

Old 01-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer

Rallyman,
Thanks for the response. I'm taking it into the shop tommorrow and tell them this. Is this something easily done by yourself the next time it starts up the noise? It seems to be occurring where the torsion bar is going into the wheel on both left and right rear wheels.... I haven't read the manual yet, (will do tonight) and wondering is this is a "listed" maintenence item!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted! -Endoman

Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

The dealer fixed both of them promptly. It appears the rear torsion splines left the factory w/o any grease because that was "known" issued that Bomb sent out to their reps.

This noise issue was nerve racking but gone now. Overall I am a big fan of the Outlander. I used to have a Grizzly 600 and it drove like a brick compared to this. The Outlander has an extremely plush ride and it is extremely nimble on the trails. It is extremely sporty for a utility ATV. My old Grizzly just liked going straight. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would highly advise others to test ride and decide for themselves! It's no pure sport quad obviously but I have a Z400 for that and this is perfect for my better half... Based on today's news, maybe the Outlander will come in "John Deere" Green next year.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your advise. I picked up my outlander last friday and fortunately I check for the noise. Mine had the same problem and they could fix it quickly by greasing the torsion bar spline.